First high end glide

loge55

Hey guys, I'm a noob and I've been researching and I'm ready to buy a good glide, I'm looking to spend in the 150 up or down a little from that, but the ones I'm deciding between is the negotiator, 6 inch hph shad, and the slide swimmer 175, I'm leaning towards the 6 inch hph because shad seems to be the ticket around here but love the negotiator a lot, the 175 is lowest on the list, I kno the hphs are a little harder to come by and seem to be going closer to the 180-200 dollar range, considering bullshads are the most expensive bait I've bought this is a big step for me, and would like some of your opinions.

Don't know if your looking at used at all but i am finding the 175ss lures around 55 dollars shipped.  For that price i will be trying one of those vise getting one new and deciding i dont like it.  A shadly is in your price range at 140 and i am having a drift made up now.  I went with piz as my first hand made glide.  I feel like there is a divide between garage baits and off the shelf and i have a hard time paying full price for an OTS model.  If you can find an HPH i would be all in on that...

I guess I was leaning on the hph for the shad being the main baitfish, I've just never actually seen one in person, my thing I was reading through searching through this forum is I've seen a lot of guys who fish the deps 250, didn't like the 175, those why I kinda had went away from it, but you guys still speak highly of them, so maybe I need to wait and find a used one in that 50 dollar range and see what I think and then move on to the hph, the only glides I have is s wavers and a dual ninja twitching glide, so anything will probably seem like a good upgrade, thanks for all the help guys

The 6" HPH is a good bait but it is much smaller than I thought. I would probably go with the 8" if I were you. The deps 175 is a solid bait but it doesn't have the glide that it's big brother does but I've caught fish on it. If you get lucky and can find a phoneyfrog glide that would be another really good option.

Nothing wrong with the s waver.. I'd say a phoney.. there in the black market a lot for the $150 range..

But if your really looking for that 175-200 size the deps will probably give you the best straight glide.. negotiators and HPH take effort.. they don't "glide" like you'd expect.. it takes manipulation and learning

Nothing wrong with the s waver.. I'd say a phoney.. there in the black market a lot for the $150 range..

But if your really looking for that 175-200 size the deps will probably give you the best straight glide.. negotiators and HPH take effort.. they don't "glide" like you'd expect.. it takes manipulation and learning

So the deps glides and can be worked like an swaiver but the hph and roman made are different?

So the deps glides and can be worked like an swaiver but the hph and roman made are different?

The deps has an easier glide like the waver.. you can cast and retrieve and get the same steady glide.. that being said it seems the newer abs models have a more consistent out of the box swim.. the OG in a 175 tend to be more finicky but are tunable whereas the plastic ones are limited

The HPH and negotiator have very different glides from a waver and 175..I had only one 9" HPH that had a glide I kind of liked.. negotiators have a terribly unnatural glide and excel with reel or rod twitches.. very rarely does a neg have a consistent glide.. but that's the appeal of those two baits.. of all these baits i prefer the negotiator but i have several that when retrieved the same all do different things..they are very different from a waver or 175

So much trial and error

Edited by BigSlant

IMO all three of the baits you mention are a significant improvement over the s-waver.  Keep in mind that the bass don't give a hoot what you paid for a bait.  I'd suggest the 175 for someone early in the learning curve, but you'll do fine with any of them.  More important than what you pay is how much effort and hours you spend learning what the bait will do.  They are not chuck-em-out and wind-em-in baits.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sorry guys, I have no how to reply to individual comments, and my rod is a okuma guide select, I think it's rated to 2-8 or 2-10, not really 100 percent sure which it is I would have to look, I hadn't read anything about having to work more for the hph and negotiator glide, thanks a ton for the info

The shape, length, joint gap, and weight are all factors of how a bait's going to glide. A shorter lighter bait won't have as wide of a glide as a longer heavier bait like a 250. Think kinetic energy. A shorter less tall bait like a neg may not have a sweeping glide, but can be worked with a very enticing walk the dog erratic action bigger baits often don't have.

You're going to end up with all types if you stay in the game long enough like the rest of us. That's just all part of the sickness.

But as far as priority, I'd start with something that's more particular to your area. Like don't buy a huge trout type bait just cause you saw some guy in SoCal post a pic of one with a fish, but something that resembles forage in your area more so. Not that baits don't get eaten in different places universally. Start with something that's very user friendly, good castability, and something you'll be able to stick with for a while.

Personally, I've been using a Sly 6" perch type glide more than anything lately. Has a very manageable weight, decent tighter glide and great erratic action. It's been a great producer I can fish a variety of ways, and doesn't wear me out,, best part is the $60 price tag! Start with something like that or a 175, neg, waiver,, then move up to a lil heavier bait.