Mike Bucca on Tactical Bassin

chevro1et

Interesting vid - that's very similar to the tactic that STE's Matt Peters recommends for the Triple Trout in the heat of the summer.  I tried it a few years ago with my Bullshad after an all-night Slammer session petered out and the fish didn't want to bite as it started to get light (I hate when that happens - why can't we have the longest nights in the summer, and the shortest ones in the winter).  I remembered what had been mentioned in the STE video, clipped on a 6" bullshad, started making long casts and burning the bait back over the top of shallow weeds, with short pauses (I tried to mimic Peter's retrieve) - it worked.  Bass blasted that thing like it was going out of style - I think I landed 5 or 6 more fish, including this stout 21" bass before things slowed down.

post-17912-0-95283200-1514664873_thumb.jpg

I've used it with the same tactic a couple of times since, and it does seem to do the trick, sometimes.  It's not as consistent a winner for me as waking a slammer or slow-rolling a Hudd or a G2, but it definitely gets in the playbook each trip in the summer.

I like to fish mine pretty fast as well. One retrieve that works really well for me is keeping the bait just under the surface and every 10-15ft I'll pop my rod up and make the bait shoot to the top and make a boil on the surface then start reeling again. Something about making that big commotion on top triggers em.