Freestyle Woes

Maxwell S.

Just out of curiosity and frustration, how do your 8" SS Freestyles fish hit? :oops:

-

For I can't seem to get a solid bite on any of my 8" FS Trout or Bass. All my bites have come while I am slow-rolling after several stop and go bursts. I am not sure if the fish are just dinks or that they are just pecking the bait out of curiosity. But I keep waiting for a *THUMP* or a *SURGE* but each and every hit is a microscopic *tick* :!:, no load up or tension. I swing, I miss, I inspect to find new teeth marks enveloping the entire bait, & I get pissed. :evil:

-

Just wondering what you guy all make of this. And to please send Freestyle MOJO! :lol:

I'd try speeding it up or keeping it closer to the surface so they dont get as good of a look at it. A faster retrieve might get the hook points started into the fish when it engulfes it too.

I'm a hard bait glutton and 95% of my bites are within 18" of the surface.

every fish i have caught on my larger hard baits have been at a steady retrieve, almost waking it.. or on a pause.. i have had bumps slow rolling it but not much it is like they are bumping it with their head or body on the larger baits.. either move it move it or stop it... it will either get engulfed on the pause or just as you take off again... and or if it is moving right along.. you can watch them follow a slow roller but that is what they do and then stop or jerk it pisses them off when one of the fs's turn around and look them in the eye that is when they smack it not sure if it scares them or pissesem off.....

I'd try speeding it up or keeping it closer to the surface so they dont get as good of a look at it. A faster retrieve might get the hook points started into the fish when it engulfes it too.

I'm a hard bait glutton and 95% of my bites are within 18" of the surface.

I like this.

I like the burn too if they will stop it, that's real fun stuff but what a work out :lol:

Im a huge fan of Pro Cure. Shad on shad and trout on trout. It's really a no brainer in my eyes, especially when fishing slow. I've grown close to the smell. I think it makes my mouth water now when I smell it. Kinda like the Pavlov's dogs thing.

I'm fruit for freestyles and I've played with them so much to see what kinda reactions I get. I always dap a little procure on the back section, a little scent trail never hurts. I have noticed sometimes if you rip it, which makes the bait cause a loud chatter, sometimes spooks the fish. Try some electrical tape on the outer seem of the joints, which will quite the bait some. If you feel the bump, instead of burning the bait, just twitch the bait. Twitch twitch twitch, which will mimic the bait as if it's injured from that slight hit. Slow and steady with the tops, and slowwww twitches with the sinker has show my best results. It's amazing what these baits can do.

Got to fish my SS Lit up for the first time yesterday. Lots of follows, no commits.

I've heard guys talk about their trout getting taken as they are reeling them in at this particular lake, so I made a decision to make the lure look like it was in distress and trying to get itself unhooked. Hard, sequential rips caused the bait to spend a good deal of time sideways. Kinda looked like it was head shaking and trying to throw the hook.

Gotta try mixing it up I guess. Definitely a fun bait to make "dance" though.

Max,

I've had similar experiences with my trout fs around this time of year. The bass will either come up on it or chase it and quickly "check hit" it if you will and never really strike with intent to kill or eat. I told a knowledgeable friend about this and he told me they were clearing out their spawning area. needless to say a few trips later i realized he was dead on. Just another thought.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the expert advice! The 8" SS Trout is now one of my favorite baits to fish, that is ever since I lost my FS SS Bass day after Christmas trying out a new reel. :cry::roll:

But I will definitely be speeding up my retrieves now that the temps are picking up. Hopefully I will be posting up my first fish this summer. Thanks again to all who contributed to my question.

Take care everyone! Stick a good'n.

Maxwell S.