Huddleston vs Baitsmith, which is better?

Ruef_Top

Great topic. The last 2 years for me have seen 22 fish on my Baitsmith as opposed to 3 on my Huddleston. And the Huddleston fish were bedfish. In my opinion, the fish have seen about 400X more Hudds than Baitsmith. Everyone talks about presenting the bait differently than all the other guys. Go to any lake and watch what big swimbait guys are throwing..99% of the time its a Hudd. The reasons why my Baitsmith is getting bit more: 

1) More realistic 

2) Bigger profile

3) Not as many being thrown

I know some guys are sticking fish on Hudds and that's awesome. But for me I will be sticking with my Baitsmith, more expensive or not. 

some states dont have to deal with this but if your on the west coast there are A LOT of people throwing swimbaits. Being unique and throwing something the fish dont see as much plays a big factor imo.i agree 100 percent

Thanks for such great imput guys! I really appreciate it, my next question would be where can I find one because to me they seem far and in between to find, I’m looking for one in a bluegill pattern preferably but at this point I’ll try anything. Thanks guys!

Thanks for such great imput guys! I really appreciate it, my next question would be where can I find one because to me they seem far and in between to find, I’m looking for one in a bluegill pattern preferably but at this point I’ll try anything. Thanks guys!

Make a post on the black market and you'll get a couple offers. 

I have fished swimbaits in Michigan a very long time and only seen two other people fish a hudd...both guys I was fishing with and you were one of them primus lol

I rarely even hear of others fishing swimbaits like we consider swimbaits

I was just getting started when we met a few years back. I am grateful for a lot of the intel you shared as it was a tremendous help to me. Need to do it again.

Back to the thread , I know more guys in the state are throwing Hudds, Slammers etc but compared to places like California I believe Michigan for the most part is virgin territory for Big bait fisherman combined with 1000's of lakes, rivers etc equals a good opportunity . The only thing missing are truly giant fish , that said I'm predicting that the state record largemouth will be beat within the next 5 years as we have seen the Smallmouth record has been topped a couple of times in recent years. 

• 10 months later...

They’re different baits. Fish them side by side and you’ll see what I mean. Very different. There are ups and downs to both.

For the guys saying that too many people throw hudds to catch fish consistently on them, let me just say, I live in a part of CA where I would venture to say more Huddlestons are thrown than anywhere in the world. And yet, they are still the most consistent fish catchers for me and my brother. It’s all where, when, and how you throw them. But, I will say, the only real downside IS the fact that more guys throw them and they are readily available. It does have an effect, just not as drastic as I think some make it out to be. 

The baitsmith has the advantage of being seen less and in my opinion it looks slightly more “real” in the water. Having said that, there are some real downsides. 1: the paint comes off very easily. I know some guys like the worn bait look, but for me, that won’t fly. It needs to look good. 2: Fishing the stock jig hook alone is a really quick way to get frustrated. Half the time the bait will pop out of the mouth and not hook and the ones that do get hooked will throw the bait pretty quick. Something about the design is not right and the stock jig hook setup is nearly unusable unlike a hudd which is fantastic right out of the package. 3: Not as many sink options. Ya, you can play around with nail weights but getting one to sink really slow is tricky. The slow sink model is like about an ROF 8 so not really that slow. 4: It’s expensive. Granted this is kinda a positive because it keeps too many people from fishing them. But, they are a lot more than a hudd. 

So there’s my 2 cents after fishing both quite a bit over the years. Both are great and are consistent producers if you know where and how to fish them.