Will Northen Strain bass eat trout?

kscatman76

I have a lake in mind in Missouri that is a trout lake but the lower end has bass and some big ones.  It also has tons of grass etc.  It is stocked year round with rainbow and brown trout and lots of them.  Also contains shad, crappie, spotted bass, white bass, walleye,northen strain largemouth and smallmouth.  Anyhow there are tons of rainbows in there, some very small ones even.  Each year when I go on vacation I find myself venturing to the lower part of the lake to unlock the bass fishing mystery to me.  I really want to spend sometime throwing a big swimbait for big bass.  I know all the Florida Strain Largies in California gobble up trout and grow big and fast on that high protein.....wouldn't these northern strain largies do the same thing?  I mean surely 5 to 8 pound bass are just hammer the trout in this lake aren't they? 

Answer may not be as easy as you think. If lake has a large pelagic bait population, very often trout become just another food source but not the preferred one imo. Some lakes you would swear have a trout sb bite but are only so so. Out here we have white perch and also alewive lakes where it seems the whole food chain is keyed into em.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I have a lake in mind in Missouri that is a trout lake but the lower end has bass and some big ones.  It also has tons of grass etc.  It is stocked year round with rainbow and brown trout and lots of them.  Also contains shad, crappie, spotted bass, white bass, walleye,northen strain largemouth and smallmouth.  Anyhow there are tons of rainbows in there, some very small ones even.  Each year when I go on vacation I find myself venturing to the lower part of the lake to unlock the bass fishing mystery to me.  I really want to spend sometime throwing a big swimbait for big bass.  I know all the Florida Strain Largies in California gobble up trout and grow big and fast on that high protein.....wouldn't these northern strain largies do the same thing?  I mean surely 5 to 8 pound bass are just hammer the trout in this lake aren't they? 

Nah, those bass in Taneycomo don't eat trout  ;)

Edited by evilcatfish

The answer is yes. I have caught 4lb bass that were in 2’ of water where brookies were vicious jumping right after being stocked. They were there to eat the trout. I have no doubt in my mind. They eat trout! And I’m in Maine. A lot further north lol

Answer may not be as easy as you think. If lake has a large pelagic bait population, very often trout become just another food source but not the preferred one imo. Some lakes you would swear have a trout sb bite but are only so so. Out here we have white perch and also alewive lakes where it seems the whole food chain is keyed into em.

I was wondering this exact thing. I fish a private lake and feel like I don't catch enough bass for the amount of time I throw Swimbaits. The lake is stocked every other week with trout. Some big trout also. I was thinking the other day that I might not be getting that many bites because it is so easy for the bass to get a meal any time of the day. There is a lot of bass in this lake and a 16lb was caught and multiple 10's.. I'm going to keep trying but the skunks are harder and harder to take

Edited by David R

I was wondering this exact thing. I fish a private lake and feel like I don't catch enough bass for the amount of time I throw Swimbaits. The lake is stocked every other week with trout. Some big trout also. I was thinking the other day that I might not be getting that many bites because it is so easy for the bass to get a meal any time of the day. There is a lot of bass in this lake and a 16lb was caught and multiple 10's.. I'm going to keep trying but the skunks are harder and harder to take

Fish in heavy wind. At least you know the trout will likely be up top then.

Bass will eat trout pattern swimbaits even if no trout is present in the lake you are fishing in. What do you think would happen if you put a distress trout in front of a bass that never saw a trout? It will go for it no questions asked.

Trout pattern have caught me fish and there is no trout in the bodies of water that I fish.