Shine Glide Wiper (Hybrid)

jthod

Rod-Dobyns Fury 795SB
Reel- Diawa Lexa 300WN
Line- 80lb PP MaxQuattro, 30 Big Game leader
Lure-7" Savage Gear Shine Glide, Hitch.  Owner Hook upgrade

One of 3 I stuck tonight on the Glide.  One of my favorite target species.

This was the biggest at 26"  It then proceeded to thrash in the bottom of my kayak and dump my bump board off the side, and out of reach, and sank before I could grab it.

post-31514-0-95109300-1521785706_thumb.jpg

NICE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally went through the rest of my GoPro footage, and pulled some more pics of these striped beauties.  It was a wild evening, once I found them.

I typically target them with conventional gear, spinning tackle most times.  They are an unreal animal. 

If you haven't had the pleasure, just listen to the sounds of joy coming from a spinning reel with a wiper on the other end.  A few of the drag screamers from last year:

post-31514-0-16221800-1522161551_thumb.jpg

post-31514-0-19552800-1522161560_thumb.jpg

post-31514-0-79872200-1522161571_thumb.jpg

post-31514-0-77344800-1522161584_thumb.jpg

post-31514-0-25616900-1522161590_thumb.jpg

post-31514-0-86753800-1522161595_thumb.jpg

Edited by jthod

These are also my favorite fish to chase other than 20+lb stripers.  Their fight is so much fun.  And the ones in the 5-6lb range have great flaky tasting meat.

Yeah, the lake I fish normally has a great population of 4-6lb fish.  By far the hardest fishing fish around these parts.

I don't normally keep them, but I have in the past.  Eaten fresh, never frozen is key.  Remove ALL the red meat.  The firmness of the meat allows it to be cooked many ways, grilled, blackened, seared and baked...etc

• 2 months later...

Wiper are a special fish. They grow huge and never quit fighting. We have them in MO, both in rivers and in lakes. Being shorebound, I have yet to find a reliable place to target them. They're certainly my favorite species to catch, but it's a rarity for me.