Reel Speed and Line Choice for Hinkle and Roman Made Mother

CNORG

Wha pound line are you guys using for your hinkles or mothers? Lots of controversy over 30 pound mono and 25 pound flourocarbon. Also, what reels do you guys use for them, and what’s the gear ratio. I like the conquest 400 but it’s all personal preference.

Right now I am throwing my Hinkle Trout on 30lb p-line cxx green, Shimano tranx 400hg with paddle handles, and dobyns 908. Seems to handle everything great, and haven’t had any line issues.

The rule of fishing that i learned a long time ago is use the lightest line you can all the time.  My fishing partner uses 17 lb Berkeley xt pm his hinkle shad.  I use 15 YHB on a lot of my smaller baits and 20 on my bigger baits.  With bottom fishing you have to deal with abrasion but with glides i dont feel there is any real reason to worry about that.  Knot strength is the limiting factor on fluorocarbon so going heavier on that makes sense.  No info on the mother...  Is the water clear in your Ohio Fisheries.  In supper clear water fluorocarbon may be justified but most of the time not.    I run a luna 253 and a ryoga 1016, the ryoga is a 6.3 and the luna a 5.

Edited by Angryjohn

The rule of fishing that i learned a long time ago is use the lightest line you can all the time.  My fishing partner uses 17 lb Berkeley xt pm his hinkle shad.  I use 15 YHB on a lot of my smaller baits and 20 on my bigger baits.  With bottom fishing you have to deal with abrasion but with glides i dont feel there is any real reason to worry about that.  Knot strength is the limiting factor on fluorocarbon so going heavier on that makes sense.  No info on the mother...  Is the water clear in your Ohio Fisheries.  In supper clear water fluorocarbon may be justified but most of the time not.    I run a luna 253 and a ryoga 1016, the ryoga is a 6.3 and the luna a 5.

In my ohio fisheries the water is normally pretty clear unless heavy rain comes through. Many fish are finicky in our ponds, but they are big. I'm still wondering if I should use flourocarbon or monofilament or even copoly for my deps 250 and Hinkle Shad

For my hinkle trout I use 25lb cxx or big game, revo toro beast 60 6.2:1, dobyns 908. Never thrown it on my conquest 400 yet but the toro beast 6.2:1 seems perfect i feel totally in control of the bait. Imo i would NOT use floro when throwing those 9+ oz baits i think the stretch is 100% necessary.

Ps double san diego jam knot every. single. time.

Edited by Low&Slow

Imo i would NOT use floro when throwing those 9+ oz baits i think the stretch is 100% necessary.

Ps double san diego jam knot every. single. time.

I only throw flouro on the big baits.. obviously preference and confidence is key but I've never had issues and flouro has a lower light refractory so the thicker diameter visibility issue isn't really an argument

In my experience the line retrieval rate or retrieve IPT (inch per turn) is more of a factor than the speed..I know it's tough to get a high retrieve rate in a slow speed so it's all preference..I prefer the 7.6:1 with a 42" retrieve rate..I feel to move a glide 12" and 12oz plus and maximize it's glide potential it needs a big line pull..

Completely my opinion

Edited by BigSlant

I toss the trout and Mother on the 908 and MOAM maniac 6-12 parabolic. 30lb big game for both. I wouldn’t mind using 25lb for the Hinkle but the mother is a damn big bait. I backlashed one time tossing the Mother and the bait came to a dead stop about 15’ in front of me. I was praising that extra stretch and shock strength. I toss them both on an OG Lexa 300 5.1 ratio cuz I fish my glides really slow usually.

Just a note: I just tested out my new Irod bailey mag 8’6†and it is a friggin rugged. I was just testing a Mother, plopping it 20’ out but I’m actually gonna give it a go for bombing a mother. It will definitely chuck a Hinkle Trout.

I toss the trout and Mother on the 908 and MOAM maniac 6-12 parabolic. 30lb big game for both. I wouldn’t mind using 25lb for the Hinkle but the mother is a damn big bait. I backlashed one time tossing the Mother and the bait came to a dead stop about 15’ in front of me. I was praising that extra stretch and shock strength. I toss them both on an OG Lexa 300 5.1 ratio cuz I fish my glides really slow usually.

Just a note: I just tested out my new Irod bailey mag 8’6†and it is a friggin rugged. I was just testing a Mother, plopping it 20’ out but I’m actually gonna give it a go for bombing a mother. It will definitely chuck a Hinkle Trout.

I am looking at the Bailey rod. Could you tell me a little more about it (handling weight and action wise). My first language is French so I am not sure is friggin rugged is good or bad! Looking to throw the Deps250 with it.

Thank you

I am looking at the Bailey rod. Could you tell me a little more about it (handling weight and action wise). My first language is French so I am not sure is friggin rugged is good or bad! Looking to throw the Deps250 with it.

Thank you

Haha sorry about that. So the bailey 8’6†is a solid rod. It doesn’t flex deep, so it’s not parabolic. But it will cast a very big bait. You will have no issues at all toss long a Deps 250. Or even a Hinkle Trout. But remember, being so solid I would say you won’t want to fish anything under 4oz on it. Hope that helps