Everyone comment below which scenarios you would use your hard baits or glide baits in, and what scenarios you would use your soft baits in. Example: Hard baits for springtime along weed edges and weed beds, Soft baits in summer for burning, and soft baits in winter for bottom bouncing. Just say the time of year, where to fish, and why. (Also, if you want to get very specific, specify the size of bait as well).

When the water is over 60 degrees I’m throwing hard topwater in lowlight conditions (sunrise, sunset, and night).

Once the sun is up in the air (around 10ish) I switch to slow or fast sinking softbaits.

When water is colder than 60 degrees I’m pretty much sticking to slow/fast sinking softbaits.

I keep it pretty simple these days.

I use glide baits around 60 in spring, summer and fall until water gets in low 50s. I like shallower paddle tail line thru baits as an option anytime water is 50s or above. And if it's low 50s or less hudds are a good choice. But in general you need to experiment and match retrieve speed and where the fish are in water column. Ive had action on glide baits and ospreys the same day. Or sometimes you just need one bait.

Hard to beat a big thumper type tail at night. Rising son, optimum; sometimes those big fish do not want to break the surface for some reason. If you find that there isn’t surface activity, those fish will take that big thumping tail just under the surface.

Side note most of my glide bites have come in the spring