Multiple Questions, anything helps.

BamaChild

-Does anyone else have a body of water where you just can’t get a swimbait bite no matter how hard you grind? If so, how do you combat this?

-Do you have a favorite swimbait for when times get tough (any time during the year) that you pick up and know you will catch fish?

-I have a reel that doesn’t properly fit into my rod, should I just add tape to fill it in?

-How often do you catch swimbait fish? For me it is fairly rare.

-If you pond fish, do you also throw swimbait in those ponds? Any success or advice on doing so?

-What is a really good, not breaking the bank, gizzard shad swimbait?

-Can upsizing baits get you more bites?

Thats all I have for today. Thank you for any help or answers you may or may not offer, it is always a pleasure to post on this forum. Until next time.

I am far from a swimbait expert, but here goes... 

- my confidence bait is a 5.8 Keitech in Pro Blue Red Pearl / weighted Owner Beast 6/0.  I catch everything from aggressive 1.5lb to 4.5lb bass on it. 

- I've been eyeballing the Smash-Tech gizzard shads, both 5" and 7", line-thru and weedless. Gonna pull the trigger one of these days. 

- can you describe the reel / reel seat situation a little more? 

My confidence bait is definitely a Tiny klash. That thing will catch fish ALL sizes anywhere from a small pond to big lakes.

for the reel, add tape I have that same issue

bullshad or savage gear shine glide will cover the cheap gizzard bait

i can almost always catch a fish on a 316 mission fish or 316 minnow/5in rising son. Definitely my confidence soft bait.

It seems that same body of waters are better for swimbaits, but just might be the day you are fishing them. So give then many days of fishing to really figure them out.

Fo to would be the 6" HPH.

This seems odd, maybe something is bent so the two are not fitting together.

I fish 2-3 times a week and almost always catch a least one swimbait fish evertime.

Yes and yes, you need to spend time on these waters and figure out what the fish want. If you feel better fish with a worm to see where the fish are then move on to swimbaits.

There are many, start with a salvage or sweaver then move on to HPH or Hinkle, phoney, etc.

Depending on the day and time and what fish are doing. Wouldn't say more baits but hopefully bigger fish bits.

Good luck and stick with it.

One bait that doesn't break the bank that i fish in any conditions is the 3:16 5" weedless rising son. Ive caught some good fish on it (9lbs) and they are priced very good. 

One question for you is, do you just blind cast? Cant anywhere and every where? if so..... your wasting time. Focus on areas that you know fish should be at ie... structure, drop offs, points, ambush points..... Find those spot and try different things. not to say you won't catch fish by blind casting but at least you are upping your chances on getting bit. 

My go to baits are the Jackall Gantarel and MS Slammer.

I definitely get blanked a lot as well. 

I definitely use swimbaits in ponds and have caught some nice fish doing so. Target the same areas you would with conventional gear but it's just a bigger profile bait.

Does anyone else have a body of water where you just can’t get a swimbait bite no matter how hard you grind? If so, how do you combat this?

YES! I Fish in SoCal and these lakes are super pressured, sometimes I question myself what the hell am I doing, but it makes me fish better, fish harder, put my baits in the right spots When you get a bite take a step back and think how did I get that bite might be structure related, retrieve etc. try to replicate it on different parts on the lake in similar situations. Tougher the bite the more it drives me to figure them out!  

-Do you have a favorite swimbait for when times get tough (any time during the year) that you pick up and know you will catch fish?

Its a matter of figuring out what the fish are doing, are they eating bluegill, Shad, trout, baby bass fry etc. look for clues around the lake. if I’m not getting any follows on a bait I change it, 6”,7”,8”,9”,10” baits all make a difference if all else fails then I’m throwing 11” glides tougher the bite the bigger bait I throw honestly. If I had to pick a go-to bait to put a fish in the boat Swimbait it’s def. a rising son. 5” weedless or 6.5” 

-I have a reel that doesn’t properly fit into my rod, should I just add tape to fill it in?

Probably not the best idea because If you hook a giant your in trouble. If that’s seriously your only option then some strong zip ties and figure 8 electrical tape should do it LOL - i wouldn’t  mess around get a legit setup 

all depends on how much time your putting on the water and if your doing the right things on the lake, if your dialed in it can happen everyday, all day, or skunk out for a month STRIAGHT. I had a 25+ Swimbait fish day once 7-9lbers all day and then next day it just shutdown so it’s hard to say. Time on the water is KEY - You need to have big bass mentality and don’t panic if you skunk out 10 trips in a row, I just like going to the lake and freaking myself out on “Swimming Swimbaits” and the bites are a bonus ;) 

-If you pond fish, do you also throw swimbait in those ponds? Any success or advice on doing so?

Pond fishing is a great place to gain confidence and learn the characteristics of certain baits your trying to learn to apply to the big show; 3:16 rising sons, minnows & little boogers are fun pond killers 

-What is a really good, not breaking the bank, gizzard shad swimbait?

Savage gear glides are as cheap as they get and get bit. But you can buy 10 decent-ish baits or buy one legit bait like a Pizz shadley, 3:16 freestyle shad, phoney shad Glide, 8” to 10” triple trout, hinkle shad etc 

Yes and No - If the fishing is super dead you should just swing for the fences are throw the biggest bait you got expecting not to catch anything. I’ve had some double digit days in the toughest of conditions - but it also depends if you had followers, if you did stick with that size maybe change a color, no followers change size. But Sometimes you have to put the Swimbait down and get in tune with the lake and fish some plastic worms, jigs, spinnerbaits etc take notes of how they got bit and use those same techniques and spots to Swimbaits 

Edited by JohnMarino

-Does anyone else have a body of water where you just can’t get a swimbait bite no matter how hard you grind? If so, how do you combat this?
Yes, i have a big deep clear water pond that i cant get a swimbait bite. especially  at night. i've heard of people getting fish here on swimbaits for me i cant.  Dont fish it as much as i should. although i do fish it a night from shore and do pretty good on regular bass gear.  hate fishing it in the kayak. from shore is tough theres no good shallow cover or structure.   

slammer but really just in the warmer water. 

it may be bent, but yes you can tape it. 

i do pretty good, especially at night or in a few certain ponds

i fish ponds 10 acres alot. small ponds is my game. really throw a lot of topwater close to cover.  do alot of night fishing here as well. im trying to mix things up with the baits this year

yes, i have a pond with big bass but alot of small bass. it either 1-2lb fish or fish over 5. so if i fish smaller baits, small fish, but ever since i started swimbait fishing this place my catch rate of big bass here went up.  i wouldnt toss a 7 inch slammer here cuz it'll get smaller fish. 

got another place where if i fish small baits ill only catch small fish or pickerel. switched to bigger baits, getting bigger fish