Am I Doing Something Wrong?

SumoNinja

Josh, that's my next plan, get the stuff I need to make my own feathered trembles

Big poppa, I'm still fairly new to big swimbaits but quickly realized early on that you can't have one or two setups for everything lol 

Update:

So I go back to shore fish late afternoon with a 1/0 on the front, back is still a size 1 because I'm out of 1/0. So it's getting dark, I hook up on a fish again, kept rod tip down, I can't put tip in water because I'm fishing on rocks, but it happens again. Couldn't stop fish from coming up, it didn't jump but spit the bait. 

Next few casts, i hook into something BIG and heavy, I start to focus and freak out lol, but turns out I snag onto a buoy cable and was dragging it.....bait's not coming out. I didn't wanna break the line, so I let about 25 yards of line out, tie my line to a stick and come back first thing next morning with my float tube. Luckily I retrieved it but my 1/0 is bent. So I said screw it, I put a 2/0 on it.....

So my spool was low as it is, after losing more line I unspooled it and instead of respooling with big game I put 65 in braid on because I'm going back next evening (last night) so i figured line visibility wasn't an issue. So I got 65 braid, 2/0 front hook, size 1 back hook, not a single f was given because I had to get by with what I got atm lol. 

About hour in, its dark, I cast out pretty far, count down few seconds, begin my retrieve, about 2 or 3 turns the bait gets smashed. I set the hook, fighting it in, I'm wondering if I got a striper on because it hit out at end of my cast in middle of the column, it feels pretty big, and it breaches and jumps few times but I can't see what it is. I do end up landing it.

It's a largemouth, and it's not only pretty big, it's my new PB....

Lol, the front hook is massive on that thing. Funny thing is, the small back hook got it done. Front hook wasn't even hooked up. 

So what I took from this is, a combination of rod being softer, having mono on, improper landing technique at first and fish breaking surface led to 4 fish getting away

I really felt a solid hook set with the braid. And this guy wasn't spitting this bait because of the hook placement. It wasn't in the roof of the mouth as you can see it was the side of its mouth and into the flesh. But it did bend the owner size 1 hook. So I gotta change to a bigger gauge wire

If this had been prespawn she might've been 9 or broken dd. She had length, big head, but lacked the belly and girth. Hopefully I will meet her again once the gills and shad start coming in closer in large numbers and she beefs up on them 

Anyways, thanks for reading and again for all the input guys. I appreciate it. 

I have always been unsure of using a leader but with this setup and how I'm gonna use it to fish, I may have to leave the braid and start using a leader 

5 minutes ago, cascadekiller said:

This is really awesome, going from losing 4/5 fish and not knowing what you did wrong too sticking a PB! Has been really fun to follow. Congrats man!

Thanks man. It's been a crazy little mini adventure. Thanks for coming along on my journey 

Thanks guys, definitely worth the effort in the end

I'm gonna start using a leader, maybe 25 lb. And yes, that braid really drove that hook home

Idk, some suggestions on test and brand would be appreciated 

Also want to go to a thicker gauge than the st 36. Haven't decided on which to try out

Edited by SumoNinja

2 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

2X st-41 if you don't mind cutting points...beastly hooks and I haven't had any problems with them

I've never tried those but I initially shied away from the cutting points. My thoughts were that they'd make a bigger hole in the fish's mouth and increase chances of spitting a bait.

But I really wouldn't know unless I try them. I was even thinking to go to the 3x hooks because we do have a lot of stripers in the 20+ lb range and I've seen them bend the 2/0 st 36 hooks