Direction and Support Needed: The Big Glide Baits

robertehines

Hey SU, I’m struggling making the commitment on a big glide (Mother, Workhorse, etc...).  Recently, I have been fishing baits up to the size of a Deps 250. So far, my experience with the 250’s has been solid.  I’ve caught some decent fish on them and learned how to make them produce in the lakes around here. I primarily fish in Arkansas.

The issue now is the next step. I’ve got a setup for the really big stuff (10oz plus) but can’t seem decide which bait tonreally commit to. By that I mean actually pull the trigger and buy.  With the price point for entry into the really big stuff, I’d greatly appreciate some input. We don’t stock trout in any of our big bass lakes.  I’ve caught fish around here on trout patterns but my confidence level in that color is not high enough for me to take the plunge on a  trout pattern bait.

So, what baits should I consider over others?  I’m really focusing on glides that I could fish year round in the 12” plus range.  The list I’m considering:

Mother, Mother Triple, Hinkle, Hiro, and Workhorse  

Any thoughts, direction or support groups that I might be able to enter into would be greatly appreciated. 

SU Thanks for the awesome board!

Robert  

All the baits you mentioned are solid and proven baits, you cant go wrong with any of them.  it mostly just comes down to preference.  some have slightly different styles of fishing, alot of guys that throw them year round will use more than 1 but at certain times of year. Ex. some guys prefer the hinkle trout during warmer weather and say you can fish it more aggressive and eratic then a mother which they will switch to in cooler water.  With that said, theres guys who throw the mother year round.  its all just preference, youll get good reviews out of all of them and chances are which ever one you decide to purchase will fish great, but to find one that fits YOUR specific style and preferences you might have to try several.

Kind of depends on what you want out of a bait... do you prefer wood or resin? What kind of action do you prefer? I would spend time on YouTube especially on Crazy Bass Fisher's videos where he shows the pool tests on the Mother and Hinkle.  

This might be a slightly unpopular opinion, but if you're catching em on  a 250, which is already a very big lure, why are you worrying so much about the next step up? Just keep doing whats working with what you've got.

thanks for the info guys. I’m not picky about the bait being would or a composite. I would prefer the lower maintenance of a composite but I’m wide open there. My only real preference is to be able to fish it year round. 

As far as the 250 goes, it is a big bait. However, I’m not catching big fish with it. I’m yet catch a big fish with one (nothing over about 5).  I Really enjoy hunting with the big baits no one else throws around here. 

I’m ready to up the game a bit with something bigger.  And I’ve got to put this new rig to work...