Casting Techniques

Onthefly_25

I just got my first 250. I'm getting decent distance with a side lob cast and better accuracy with an overhead cast (similar technique to casting surface irons). The bait helicopters on both casts for me. Wondering what other techniques there are to limit helicopter and combine power and accuracy?

I think that helicoptering is cause by having too much slack line out whenever you cast. This creates some line for the bait to move around with, thumbing the spool throughout your cast, will improve casting accuracy, and in your case, improve distance. But thats all just my theory ;)

When I cast, I might be weird but its almost like bombing a lacrosse ball with a lacrosse stick. I put my whole body into it. It ends up looking like a big over the head lob cast. I start with my rod and bait very low and my reel is always facing me, so when the bait actually leaves, the rod would technically be sideways. It always works very well for me. And I cast a very good distance. All the defensive lacrosse players know what I mean. It probably looks a little weird but very effective. And since I'm using my body my arms are never tired. Almost a cross between a pitch and a lacrosse throw. Idk.

If this makes absolutely no sense to you then please disregard.

But its very efficient for me. And my baits hardly ever topple in the air. Kind of looks like a mortar.

7 hours ago, JoshPerkins802 said:

When I cast, I might be weird but its almost like bombing a lacrosse ball with a lacrosse stick. I put my whole body into it. It ends up looking like a big over the head lob cast. I start with my rod and bait very low and my reel is always facing me, so when the bait actually leaves, the rod would technically be sideways. It always works very well for me. And I cast a very good distance. All the defensive lacrosse players know what I mean. It probably looks a little weird but very effective. And since I'm using my body my arms are never tired. Almost a cross between a pitch and a lacrosse throw. Idk.

If this makes absolutely no sense to you then please disregard.

But its very efficient for me. And my baits hardly ever topple in the air. Kind of looks like a mortar.

You're speaking my language mate! Been a Long Stick Middie since I was allowed to use a long pole. So just to be clear, same type of motion as a defense men doing a full field clear?

14 hours ago, Onthefly_25 said:

You're speaking my language mate! Been a Long Stick Middie since I was allowed to use a long pole. So just to be clear, same type of motion as a defense men doing a full field clear?

Basically exactly. The only thing different I do is I don't WHIP my rod like I would on a full field clear. Like a slow lazy defensive player that ate way to much before the game. 

For my bigger baits I use more of like a pendulum time cast using the momentum of the bait along with the whip of the rod to control my cast. I’ll have two sometimes three feet of slack slower swing the bait towards me then as is swings back out I go with the momentum of the bait and whip it, whip it real good! Almost creating a 3/4 of a circle by the time I release. Bait usually stays pretty straight. Idk that’s just me idk how else to explain it haha hope it helps

10 hours ago, JoshPerkins802 said:

Basically exactly. The only thing different I do is I don't WHIP my rod like I would on a full field clear. Like a slow lazy defensive player that ate way to much before the game. 

That out the hard way... had to take a little swim

The advice above is spot-on; its all about the smoothness of the cast and release.  If you don't believe this, try casting one of those glides on a heavy spinning setup: it will helicopter like crazy due to the sudden release you get with a spinning reel.  Along with the above tips you might also try a longer rod.  I have swimbait rods from 7'9" to 8'6".  I definitely notice less glide casting issues with the longer rod which I think goes back to it helping to achieve a smoother cast.  

Also the thinner the body of the glide, the more it will helicopter.  And a stiff tail also is worse than a soft plastic tail or fiber tail for casting.  

Try to make it a smooth cast with the rod loading up when you cast. If the rod doesn't load up at least a little bit then the bait will tend to helicopter more often and you also risk snapping off the bait from shocking the line.