Mattlures Hardgill

Snookonfly

Thanks for the response.  That existing post has some good insight.  I know the bait is highly regarded here.  Hoping to hear from the Hardgill experienced SU community to get some perspective on the sink rates then compare the various viewpoints.  Thanks all!

The floater gets bit under calm conditions, few sbs can make this claim. Get fancy with hooks to create a feeding attitude with tail down head slurping...I do have a slow sinking floater that I almost returned to Matt. I ended up just buying another from him to be sure it floated and was glad I did. I caught a PB for a particular fishery with it. It has been dive bombed by birds too 

Edited by bigpoppabass

Heavy float.  It is just a larger, or an additional, split ring away from a Super slow sink.  Or, with a small clip on egg weight its a slow sink.  

If you plan on getting just one, always go with a float or heavy float.  They can always be made to sink, but obviously you can't go the other way around.

I like the heavy float over the float due to the fact that the majority of the bait's body is subsurface....the back fin just BARELY cracks the surface.  Gives the bass an excellent view of the lure, while still having it in the prime surface location for being 'pinned'.

-Carl

Thanks, Matt. I am starting with & already put in the order for the slow sink redear.  After reading Carl’s input, I really like his perspective and think my second Hardgill will be the heavy float.  I could see this bait excel over grass that hasn’t topped out yet out on the Tennessee River lakes and get crushed when thrown down the sides of docks.

Any other scenarios where this bait excels?

I typically carry a few Hardgills from floating to medium sink.  I probably use slow sink the most often, but there are days a lazy retrieve of a floater or extra slow sink is the ticket.  There are also situations that call for a faster, deeper presentation.  For instance on those days when bass are totally turned off and hanging under docks and trees you will get more reaction strikes when the bait sinks more quickly in front of their face.  Give those fish too much time to look at a slow-sinking bait and a lot of them won't hit.  

Here's an easy way to modify a Hardgill to get a faster sink rate if you only own one.  Buy a spool of .030" lead wire used in fly tying.  Wrap it around the bottom fins as in the pictures below.   If you wrap it nice and tight (tighter than the photos) it won't slip down.  Weighting it this way doesn't affect the action as much as adding weight to the hooks.  Its quick and you can adjust on the water.  Its not quite as good as having a variety of different sink rate baits in your box, but it gives you some options to adjust to conditions if you only have one.

FullSizeRender 15.jpg

FullSizeRender 39.jpg

FullSizeRender 40.jpg