What to do about toothy critters

GrantA

If the lake truly only has pickerel....I don't do anything. If a trophy pickerel wants to take a shot at a swimbait and manages to choke it deep enough to cut the line, so be it. I've yet to have it happen (knock on wood). If it is a known pike lake (not just something they used to stock in the 90s but a sustained population) I use titanium wire leaders on my hardbaits. Soft baits I still just let it happen. I broke off an 8" WRS last summer on a pike, it sucks but at the end of the day I'm not throwing 100 dollar soft baits so it's a calculated loss I'm willing to take. 

I'm not targeting pickeral and I want to avoid em. It's a lake here in Alabama that gets stocked with pickeral but not pike. Would a very short steel leader work then? Like a 4 inch steel leader so bass would have a hard time picking it up but the pickeral cant bite through it. I just dont want like my roman made to get bit off...that would suck.

16 hours ago, GrantA said:

I'm not targeting pickeral and I want to avoid em. It's a lake here in Alabama that gets stocked with pickeral but not pike. Would a very short steel leader work then? Like a 4 inch steel leader so bass would have a hard time picking it up but the pickeral cant bite through it. I just dont want like my roman made to get bit off...that would suck.

Personally I don't think using any length of steel leader is worth it. In 10 years I don't think I've ever been bitten off in freshwater by anything. This includes using 6 pound test. 20 and above pound test I wouldn't worry about a pickeral. Everyone I've seen break off on a pickeral did so because they were too busy dicking around with it at the side of the boat bitching. That's how you snap off pickeral haha. Just net it so you're bait can't be swam off with and move on.

JUST DONT LET THEN SWALLOW THE BAIT. I’ve thrown hinkles in pike infested waters. They usually eat it from the back not the front like a bass. Don’t worry about it and just fish without a leader. If you ever run into a problem then put a leader on but I’d avoid doing so

51 minutes ago, dylan628 said:

JUST DONT LET THEN SWALLOW THE BAIT. I’ve thrown hinkles in pike infested waters. They usually eat it from the back not the front like a bass. Don’t worry about it and just fish without a leader. If you ever run into a problem then put a leader on but I’d avoid doing so

Until the pike/musky rolls, then you may be in trouble.

4 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Pickeral don't like slammers for some reason. 

Never got a northern on a slammer, but my PB came on a 6” wood Lunker Punker. Probably the best blowup I’ve ever had from any species, even smallmouth. Viscous fish pike are. 

7 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Pickeral don't like slammers for some reason. 

Yea I don't know what it is about pickerel. Smaller baitfish presentations (smaller keitechs, swimjigs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, cranks etc. etc.) I can't keep them off, they massacre them no matter the conditions. Bump up to those 6+" hardbaits and I don't even get a sniff. Never had one go after a slammer.

I'll add on here with my fellow new Englanders. I'm in Maine, and since going to big swimbaits (6" plus), I have not had one pickerel. And I'm fishing the same waters that I've caught them in the past before committing to swimbaits. Now I don't own anything more expensive than a slammer, but the more I fish the more confidence I'm getting. And I'm finding that I'm catching more further offshore away from more popular pickerel habitat

Like the others have said I don't think you'll have a problem with Pickerel cutting your line -  I've caught some fairly big ones and their teeth don't seem that formidable unless you are fishing less than 20lb test; I fish with 100lb mono leader because musky are a possibility, but I've caught bass using it, I don't think it scares them in the murky waters I fish.