Lets talk DOCKS

whit

Soft baits I pitch tight to the docks or skip under if there is enough clearance to get back there. 

Bigpoppa makes a good point about ropes, chains, cables, etc.... 

Multijoints I fish the same as soft with the exception of skipping. 

Glides are pretty fun to fish around docks. I would highly recommend getting to know how your glide performs without being able to see it. Also you want to know how turn of your handle gets the bait to glide back in fourth. I say this be cause there is a way to get your bait to glide under the dock and it will be out sight. IMO the further away from the dock you can be the better. But with this technique you may want to learn closer to the dock. 

To glide under the dock. Pitch/Cast to the edge of the dock. You can give it an immediate twitch try to get a reaction bite. Or just let sink. Now once you start your retrieve figure out which way the glide is going. If it going towards the dock give it your reel a 1/2 turn or 3/4 turn(depending on gear ratio) to get it to glide under. Once the bait has glided under the dock turn the handle 1/4 or 1/2 turn(depending on  gear ratio). This will get the bait to not glide as far as the previous turn. Now once you turn the handle again 1/2 to 3/4 turn the bait will glide a bit further under the dock than the last time.And just repeat the process.(your cadence would look like this 1/2...1/4...1/2...1/4...) If you like the distance of how far the glide is under the dock just keep the the retrieve the same ratio after you get the bait where you want.(In this scenario you want to go 1/2...1/4...1/2(on this turn we are where we want to be under the dock)...1/2...1/2...1/2...

I apologize if the it doesn't make too much sense and will try to get the retrieve on video to give you and actual visual. Don't just fish the docks but fish the shade lines the dock produces as well. 

One thing I've learned from fishing docks that have seen a lot of swimbaits is: get away from them. Not too far, but cast around them and find a sweet spot. Fish will get conditioned to seeing baits swim down the side of a dock, especially if you're fishing the best dock on a lake. They will follow your bait, but won't commit. The sweet spot may be 5 ft in front of it or 50 ft to the right or left, but the best dock on the lake is going to still hold fish, they just won't eat there because it is targeted constantly. If you can find the sweet spot close to it, you're going to be able to get them to bite again and again because you are fishing water that is overlooked by most. I actually found this situation by accident, not only the first catch, but the second as well until I put the pieces together. My only guess is that the big ones are still attracted to the best dock, but they have learned that they cannot feed there and instead setup close by and feed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 12:09 AM, evans_usmc69 said:

One thing I've learned from fishing docks that have seen a lot of swimbaits is: get away from them. Not too far, but cast around them and find a sweet spot. Fish will get conditioned to seeing baits swim down the side of a dock, especially if you're fishing the best dock on a lake. They will follow your bait, but won't commit. The sweet spot may be 5 ft in front of it or 50 ft to the right or left, but the best dock on the lake is going to still hold fish, they just won't eat there because it is targeted constantly. If you can find the sweet spot close to it, you're going to be able to get them to bite again and again because you are fishing water that is overlooked by most. I actually found this situation by accident, not only the first catch, but the second as well until I put the pieces together. My only guess is that the big ones are still attracted to the best dock, but they have learned that they cannot feed there and instead setup close by and feed. 

Uhhh, this is the guy I would listen to....