Steel leaders and glides

Willluvstafish

So I learned the hard way that there's large Pike in a pond that also has some large bass. I wouldn't mind reeling in a monster Pike while also seeking out bass. That being said, will a steel leader ruin the action of a glide bait? Also how badly am I reducing the chance of catching bass by using a steel leader which is pretty disable? I have my own theories on this like if people catch bass in umbrella rigs a leader can't be too bad? 

As for sight, I'm not really a believer in fish can see line or they are line shy. But I would have to say it'll probably affect the action. Leaders get crimped/bent and just aren't as forgiving as some loose line. But i can't speak from experience. If you are that skeptical about it, I'd just tie like and 80lb or heavier mono leader.

1 hour ago, Willluvstafish said:

So I learned the hard way that there's large Pike in a pond that also has some large bass. I wouldn't mind reeling in a monster Pike while also seeking out bass. That being said, will a steel leader ruin the action of a glide bait? Also how badly am I reducing the chance of catching bass by using a steel leader which is pretty disable? I have my own theories on this like if people catch bass in umbrella rigs a leader can't be too bad? 

I've used steel and Ti leaders with swimbaits in a couple of lakes that have more pike than bass (but very big bass) and they seem to work well.  However, I've not tried them with glide baits, but I have used them with Lunker Punkers.  They work, but because the leaders are heavy, they will sink in front of the lure during the glide (slack line) phase and you might find the lure fouling the line some more.  With a glide like a Deps the action could be interesting, because the weight of the leader might be enough to pull the head down, so the lure would be gliding down.

I'd say get a few leaders and test them in clear water (without pike) to see what they do - the shorter the leader, the lower the weight and likely the lower the effect.

The thing with using metal leaders is that there's always the what if. Would I have caught a bigger fish today if I had used flouro? Did my pb swim by and turn up its noise because it caught a flash of metal leader? Not ever worth it in my opinion. Plus it's not great on action haha. Stick with heavy flouro if you need a leader.

28 minutes ago, MA Frog Man said:

The thing with using metal leaders is that there's always the what if. Would I have caught a bigger fish today if I had used flouro? Did my pb swim by and turn up its noise because it caught a flash of metal leader? Not ever worth it in my opinion. Plus it's not great on action haha. Stick with heavy flouro if you need a leader.

Do you think heavy mono or floro is resistant to Pike teeth? I feel like this teeth could slice right through 80 pound mono or equivalent flouro. Maybe I shouldn't throw anything I'm afraid to lose lol

Welcome to the game mate! There is a bunch of threads about tieable wire in here. They all pretty much come down to preference. Couple guys claim it hinders the action of baits. Some can't see the difference. Here are a two of threads talking about leaders. There are tons more and some much better than these. Tight lines Bud

14 minutes ago, Willluvstafish said:

Do you think heavy mono or floro is resistant to Pike teeth? I feel like this teeth could slice right through 80 pound mono or equivalent flouro. Maybe I shouldn't throw anything I'm afraid to lose lol

I've caught bluefish on 50 and 60 mono or flouro  and they have some of the sharpest teeth around

Will,  I fish pike infested waters daily. For swimbaits/ glides I use 60# flouro / braid using an fg knot ....no swivel...and the snap of your preference. Never had a bite off, for the most part I'm happy with the action on glides. The biggest worry is having the pike roll and cut your main line with it's Gill rakers.  Hope this helps.

I use 60lb wire and crimps, but I like to make them longer (12"+) so the wire is more forgiving/limber. I basically make one for each bait and leave it on there permanently. I'll replace them if they have a couple fish on them or if they get kinked. But the action looks damn near the same in my opinion.