Rod for a mother

dylan628

I’m 18 so money is kinda tight looking for a rod to chuck a mother around. Not looking to bomb the mother out just a decent cast. Price range of $170 and less preferably let me know what you guys think would work

To me it doesn't make sense to throw a $400 bait on a $100 rod. It should be the other way around. But, sometimes it is the other way around. The rod Drew is speaking of is a great rod and will probably hold up short term. But in order to throw the Mother and Hinkle size baits around you will eventually need at minimum a production XH from LowDown or start the process of an XH or XXH custom from a rod builder. Good luck 

I second what Jared said, i currently cast my mother/hinkle/303 and such with the daiwa dx XXH and it CAN cast the baits but i'm having to put extra effort and you can feel the rod struggle a bit to cast something that heavy a good distance. I'm going to get a custom rod built for those large swimbaits, getting a Phenix 909 XHJ Blank to build so i can cast those baits with ease. 

Edited by Neill Hernandez

Curious to understand why you guys think that a more expensive rod is needed to properly cast a mother sized bait witout feeling handicapped

I cast much biggers lures with no effort using rods that are under 200 dollars

for the price op is looking for, ive read that the okuma evx muskie rods work well with the mother http://www.tackletour.com/reviewokumaevx861xh.html

I use the xh for similar weighted baits and feel like it casts like a dream

22 hours ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Irod 8’6” will toss it. But I’d recommend a Dobyns 908 or big F5. Just save a few more bucks

The Irod is what I use.  I'll toss the Mother, Hinkle, , 3:16 Beast, 13" Dockrat, etc on it.  Works great for an extra 250 rod, or for bombing big topwaters