Trolling Setups for sbs.

bigpoppabass

I've really been wanting to experiment with lead core trolling a Slammer or glide down deep... I bet it would slay in the right area. You could troll a DEPS 250 or whatever at 30+ feet.

Also on the list is trolling swimbaits on planer boards along lily pad lines. Shiner guys have been using planer boards to troll shiners along weed/pad lines for years. Let's you run a shiner right on the weed line while keeping your boat 20 yards away and not spooking the fish.

My plan is to stay simple at first by dragging a matts deadsticks around while throwing from bow.  I want to be sure rod is well secured and line away from big motor since I will not really be paying attention and using my hearing mostly.

P.S. I was throwing from a ramp recently nonboating. A fella stopped by and chatted with me because he saw the several sbs I had against the car door. I threw the Matt's last.  A bald eagle which was not interested in my prior baits swooped down on it and gave us a nice birds eye view of it. Ha ha.  So I got to thinking of a plan for it. 

IMG_20181028_083740.jpg

IMG_20181028_085835.jpg

Edited by bigpoppabass

1 hour ago, Wes Peart said:

I've really been wanting to experiment with lead core trolling a Slammer or glide down deep... I bet it would slay in the right area. You could troll a DEPS 250 or whatever at 30+ feet.

Also on the list is trolling swimbaits on planer boards along lily pad lines. Shiner guys have been using planer boards to troll shiners along weed/pad lines for years. Let's you run a shiner right on the weed line while keeping your boat 20 yards away and not spooking the fish.

I would be interested in learning what swimbaits troll well....It may not be as simple as it sounds...I recall warnings from retailers that monster jacks, which are great classic baits, are not meant to be trolled. 

2 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Looking for tips for setting up a trollimg setup i.e. downrigger on a traditional aluminum bass boat.  

I don't have a bass boat, but I have an 8' pontoon boat (cataract).   I've used a downrigger on it for some time.  I have a Cannon Mini-Troll that I mount on the diamond plate cargo deck.  I built the mount out of a chunk of 2 x 4 that the down rigger clamps to.  I countersunk a hole for the circular part of the clamp to make it a little more secure.  I run the boom right off the back of the deck but you'd want to see if it would clear your gunwales or not - I suppose you could rig something up with a 2 x 4 that would extend it close enough to the water's edge to keep the cable from rubbing against your boat.

t400_b327a2402f9ea391c2390cfeee6c8332.jp

I run it with the stock 4-lb ball but I think it works better with one of the lower profile 6 or 8-lb balls, at least when you're pulling a high resistance swimbait like a Slammer at depth and/or speed.  I've used it a fair bit to troll for trout and when I do, I normally go with a light-tension release, but when I'm pulling swimbaits, I go with the heavier release.  I've trolled Hudd 68s, 7" Slammers, and 6" BBZs on the downrigger, and I have picked up a couple of bass on it.

I have also run planer boards from the pontoon, and with those I normally use the Offshore Tackle OR-12s for pulling swimbaits (7" and 9" Slammers, Hudds, 6 and 8" BBZs).  I have not caught bass while doing it but I did get a northern in the low 40-inch range on a Slammer running behind the board.

I think that it's definitely worth experimenting with the downrigger and side-planers, if you're willing to troll or long-line baits.

If you are wanting to do this with floating baits, just use a reel with a clicker. Cast it out and move the boat so you feel good about the distance away from boat. Put clicker on, as you move at low speed fishing a bait up front the bait off the back will be dead stick when not moving and moving when you are moving. You can place rod in rod holders or just put it down. 

When fish hits bait it will have very little tension from the line as it will be almost in free spool but you will hear the clicker.

Pick up rod reel down and set hook.

2 hours ago, FishDr said:

I don't have a bass boat, but I have an 8' pontoon boat (cataract).   I've used a downrigger on it for some time.  I have a Cannon Mini-Troll that I mount on the diamond plate cargo deck.  I built the mount out of a chunk of 2 x 4 that the down rigger clamps to.  I countersunk a hole for the circular part of the clamp to make it a little more secure.  I run the boom right off the back of the deck but you'd want to see if it would clear your gunwales or not - I suppose you could rig something up with a 2 x 4 that would extend it close enough to the water's edge to keep the cable from rubbing against your boat.

t400_b327a2402f9ea391c2390cfeee6c8332.jp

I run it with the stock 4-lb ball but I think it works better with one of the lower profile 6 or 8-lb balls, at least when you're pulling a high resistance swimbait like a Slammer at depth and/or speed.  I've used it a fair bit to troll for trout and when I do, I normally go with a light-tension release, but when I'm pulling swimbaits, I go with the heavier release.  I've trolled Hudd 68s, 7" Slammers, and 6" BBZs on the downrigger, and I have picked up a couple of bass on it.

I have also run planer boards from the pontoon, and with those I normally use the Offshore Tackle OR-12s for pulling swimbaits (7" and 9" Slammers, Hudds, 6 and 8" BBZs).  I have not caught bass while doing it but I did get a northern in the low 40-inch range on a Slammer running behind the board.

I think that it's definitely worth experimenting with the downrigger and side-planers, if you're willing to troll or long-line baits.

Somebody has one waiting for me for pickup as we speak.  Not certain it will mount well on my mod v.