Mattlures Bluegills...

TommyGun316

I use the billed hardgill a lot you can burn it and stop or just slow crank. It’s great around the spawn you will catch fish and you can cover a lot of water looking for beds. The original soft bluegill and U2 get bit more in clear water if you are slow winding but you miss a lot of smaller fish. You can add a belly treble if your in open water. Another thing with fishing the top hook soft baits is you can fish around cover and put it places you can’t the hardgill. I don’t talk about it much but I have a u2 gill ready for skipping to beds that are in hard to reach spots. I mostly use Matt’s bluegill baits around the spawn or postspawn around bluegill beds but they work anytime fish are shallow.

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, waynem said:

This is the time of the year when the prespawners hate to see a gill in the neighborhood.

FullSizeRender 12.jpg

Damn, love the color. Is it a custom? 

First time spending a day throwing the pumpskinseed hammertail. Managed these two in some serious wind. 

The skin does start peeling back if you throw it a lot into cover, and then pulling weeds off carelessly. Swims good, versatile, looks mint. Bought a few more.

Screenshot_20190505-164710_Gallery.jpg

On 5/12/2019 at 3:56 AM, SumoNinja said:

Damn, love the color. Is it a custom? 

That color was a standard from one of Matt's releases.  I don't remember when I bought that particular bait but it has caught 100+ fish and I've touched up the paint in many spots with Prismacolor markers and epoxy.  I believe every time Matt does a release of Hardgills he introduces color patterns that are somewhat different from past releases.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 11:00 PM, waynem said:

That color was a standard from one of Matt's releases.  I don't remember when I bought that particular bait but it has caught 100+ fish and I've touched up the paint in many spots with Prismacolor markers and epoxy.  I believe every time Matt does a release of Hardgills he introduces color patterns that are somewhat different from past releases.

That being said is he ever going to produce another batch of hardgills?

4 minutes ago, waynem said:

I'm not sure what Matt's plans are- you might reach out to him on his Facebook page.  If I lose one Hardgill a year, I'm set for at least the next 30 years.

Haha I’ve got one and I’m afraid to lose it. Therefore not getting it in and near the thick stuff like I should lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 11:33 AM, waynem said:

I'm not sure what Matt's plans are- you might reach out to him on his Facebook page.  If I lose one Hardgill a year, I'm set for at least the next 30 years.

LOL.....THIS!!!

Holy crap Wayne.  I have about 10 and I thought that was a lot!   I don't know about you but the truly special baits that are from the craft manufacturers I also stock up on.  You just never know when they may stop making them, by choice or due to life event.  

3 hours ago, KeepinItReelFishing said:

LOL.....THIS!!!

Holy crap Wayne.  I have about 10 and I thought that was a lot!   I don't know about you but the truly special baits that are from the craft manufacturers I also stock up on.  You just never know when they may stop making them, by choice or due to life event.  

I so agree with that. Sometimes they do a direction change too and maybe even change materials.  Matt's stuff looks better than evah tho. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

I’ll let the video speak for itself but IMO the hammertails are a year round bait, can’t go wrong with picking a few up for yourself. Only complaint is when the do get smacked pretty good they tend to rip so make sure to have some mend it ready 

On 6/24/2019 at 1:20 AM, Fishing_with_Blu said:

I had a u2 for 1 day and it lasted 3 casts. I got hit and the fish literally took the whole tail section of the bait off. With that I don't think ill ever buy another. 

You might want to try something like a Reaction Strike Bass Harasser.  Those things hold up for years- because they never get bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Hardgill slow sink but I don't like it because it rises up in the water column and starts waking on the surface. I'm using it on a 5:3:1 gear ratio reel btw, so that's not even medium or fast speed for a reel. I haven't caught anything on it, HOWEVER I will comment on the action of the Hardgill. It not only is the most realistic LOOKING bluegill bait but the most realistic bluegill action of any gill bait I've ever seen. Reel it fast, slow, twitch it or anything else and you'd swear it was a live sunfish. I'll likely buy a medium or fast sink after I sell or trade my current one.