Bowfin on a Hyper Herring

flaswimbaiter

Up by me, they are considered rough fish and nasty. Nobody wants anything to do with them here but I did learn they use the for medical cadavers because they have an air breathing lung, cheap caviar, and some communities love to eat them. I have never tried to eat one before. But they were netting them by my house last year. 14000 lbs and they were all going to New York City.

They definitely feel like a state record when you first set the hook and they have a big blunt head some when they come up behind a topwater bait they push an enormous wake, which really makes you think there is a giant bass behind your bait.

I have heard you have some monsters up there where you are, I have yet to catch any there. I would LOVE to catch one over 10. I have been tyring to get one on a wake jr or mission fish. :D

I don't eat them, but grew up eating them all them time. My grandmother used to fillet and fry them up. YUUUUMMM

We call them Shupik down in CajunLand :lol: setting the hook into these monsters will make you beleive you have a state record bucketmouth.

Ain't that the truth! First time I caught one was on a jig and it trashed it.

• 4 weeks later...

I didnt know what those things were so I just read up on them... AWESOME! I dont eat fish so I wouldnt care if they are tastey or not. They sound mean and nasty like a junkyard dog.. IM IN! Learn something new everyday.. They live anywhere around north georgia?

I hate those things fun to catch but man do they do a number on anything they touch. I was with bronzeback bomber 2 yrs ago at the place he talked about those thngs are everywhere in the winter up there. They usually don't see the inside of the boat or even my hands. Get the net and the pliers.

Jeremy