Dobyns Fury vs spiralite maverick

rogers954

Hey guys I’m considering adding another rod to the line up, but I don’t want to drop a ton of coin so that’s why I’m considering the two above. I already have a fury 795 and for the price i do like the rod i think it shines in the 1-3oz range so I would like something that covers the 3-6oz range better as i have quite a lot of soft and hard baits in that range. So I’m considering a doby 806 or a maverick 8’3” and wanted to see what dudes on her prefer between those 2, obviously price is the same between them, I’ve been eyeing getting a spiralite for a min now but haven’t heard to much about the 8’3” 

I agree with Mossy, 806 fury can throw a bait like a deps 250 but its at the absolute max top end and it will possibly screw you over with a big fish. I've got the 83 mav telescopic and its legit. I prefer the 86 but 83 for that 3-7oz range is hard to beat for the price. If you're looking more for a deps 250 and up rod,  I'd try to find a 867 in the post apocalyptic shipping hell world but the 86 maverick telescopic is legit for the price too. I like both but its hard for me to get too far away from a dobyns 867 for 2-9oz baits.

I agree with Evans, 806 is imo only good up to 4 oz comfortably. I don’t have a 8’3 mag but I do have the 8’6 and it’s a great 5-6oz rod and throws under that very well. It’s your “budget” 867 in my opinion. Very good choice for what you’re asking for.

1 hour ago, StriperAddict said:

I have the maverick 8'6" mag and throw a 250 or 10" hiro on it all day and its great. Good feel to the rod as well. I dont think you could go wrong with it.

I think spiralite is coming out with a 908 style rod, from what I’ve heard there are some prototypes floating around, think Caesar has one 

12 hours ago, evans_usmc69 said:

I agree with Mossy, 806 fury can throw a bait like a deps 250 but its at the absolute max top end and it will possibly screw you over with a big fish. I've got the 83 mav telescopic and its legit. I prefer the 86 but 83 for that 3-7oz range is hard to beat for the price. If you're looking more for a deps 250 and up rod,  I'd try to find a 867 in the post apocalyptic shipping hell world but the 86 maverick telescopic is legit for the price too. I like both but its hard for me to get too far away from a dobyns 867 for 2-9oz baits.

Thanks for the info, i already have a 867 and that is my 250 rod and i also fish the hudd on it because it cast a ROF 12 like a mile, i had an 806 champion at first and hated throwing my 250 on it, always felt like i was taxing the ish outta that rod, I’d get an 806 fury because of price but I’ve really been wanting to try a sprialite to see what the hype is, plus I’ve never had a spiral guide rod so no idea if i will like it over a conventional set up and i don’t have the coin for an LDC at the moment 

Really I’m just trying to find a middle of the road rod, since i have a champ 867 and a fury 795 I’m trying to find a rod that sits in between the two, i like the 867 for all my heavy ish (250 is the heaviest bait i have) and i like the fury for hudd 68’s and any 6” soft like rising suns, and some smaller glides (gan 178’s S-waver 168’s, hardgills) but i do have a few baits that are a little on the heavy side for the fury and to light for the 867 like triple trouts, 9” slammer, gan craft mag 230, waver 200’s, and a Matt’s strong perch. Not saying either of my rods won’t fish those but it just doesn’t feel right as those fall into the 3-6 oz range. 

17 minutes ago, rogers954 said:

Really I’m just trying to find a middle of the road rod, since i have a champ 867 and a fury 795 I’m trying to find a rod that sits in between the two, i like the 867 for all my heavy ish (250 is the heaviest bait i have) and i like the fury for hudd 68’s and any 6” soft like rising suns, and some smaller glides (gan 178’s S-waver 168’s, hardgills) but i do have a few baits that are a little on the heavy side for the fury and to light for the 867 like triple trouts, 9” slammer, gan craft mag 230, waver 200’s, and a Matt’s strong perch. Not saying either of my rods won’t fish those but it just doesn’t feel right as those fall into the 3-6 oz range. 

I would go with the 807 then. I chuck a 250 on that rod also with no issues

17 minutes ago, StriperAddict said:

I would go with the 807 then. I chuck a 250 on that rod also with no issues

Would the 807 be to much for say a 4oz bait? I have no idea how the action on the 807 is an i don’t want to pay for another champion right now 

I can't comment too much on an 807, I have one, but it's an old school cork handle 807. It is nothing like any other dobyns I have, much faster tip and stiffer rod than my other dobyns and even the spiralites. It's more of a 2-6oz walking bait/soft bait jig hook rod for me and I usually pick it up over an 867 or spiralite for walking top waters or use it for braided top water stuff. I'm not sure if the newer 807s are the same style blank or not but I would never throw a deps 250 on it, just because I prefer a rod that bends much more than what it does to keep them pinned with the 250. I'd throw a deps 250 on my fury 806 before the 807 that I own, like I said, the one I have is just completely different to me than any other rod I own.

I think if you are looking for that in between range, it would be hard to beat the mav 83. I typically throw a wnc, wade hoggs, and 8" rising son on it. I prefer the mav 86 or deps 867 for the deps 250,  but the mav 83 will handle one fine if you have something bigger tied on your heavier rod and need to use the 83.

The fish in the pic were all caught on toxics and 83 mav telescopic the first day I used it. I was mainly cranking a wnc down in shallow 50ish degree water and trying to make contact with whatever I could(think pre spawn crank bite but with a wnc). It was sensitive enough to detect when I made contact with the bottom and also handled the 7lber in the pic just fine. Hard to beat beat both the mavs and fury series for the price in my opinion.

Screenshot_20190121-204413_Gallery.jpg

4 hours ago, evans_usmc69 said:

I can't comment too much on an 807, I have one, but it's an old school cork handle 807. It is nothing like any other dobyns I have, much faster tip and stiffer rod than my other dobyns and even the spiralites. It's more of a 2-6oz walking bait/soft bait jig hook rod for me and I usually pick it up over an 867 or spiralite for walking top waters or use it for braided top water stuff. I'm not sure if the newer 807s are the same style blank or not but I would never throw a deps 250 on it, just because I prefer a rod that bends much more than what it does to keep them pinned with the 250. I'd throw a deps 250 on my fury 806 before the 807 that I own, like I said, the one I have is just completely different to me than any other rod I own.

I think if you are looking for that in between range, it would be hard to beat the mav 83. I typically throw a wnc, wade hoggs, and 8" rising son on it. I prefer the mav 86 or deps 867 for the deps 250,  but the mav 83 will handle one fine if you have something bigger tied on your heavier rod and need to use the 83.

The fish in the pic were all caught on toxics and 83 mav telescopic the first day I used it. I was mainly cranking a wnc down in shallow 50ish degree water and trying to make contact with whatever I could(think pre spawn crank bite but with a wnc). It was sensitive enough to detect when I made contact with the bottom and also handled the 7lber in the pic just fine. Hard to beat beat both the mavs and fury series for the price in my opinion.

Screenshot_20190121-204413_Gallery.jpg

Thanks i appreciate the info a lot, like i said I’ve been eyeing spiralites for a hot min but most of what i have seen posted has been about the big mag haven’t heard to many people talk about the 8’3, not that I’m surprised obviously a $130 rod that can throw a 250 is going to get a lot of attention but I’ve already got my 867 which works fine for 250 duty. Eventually I’d like to get an LDC xh to see what everyone else has been hypin for so long, but until another one hits the black market for a decent price I’ll keep waiting. Should have jumped on that one the other day that posted for like $260 shipped, little tight on funds so i hesitated.