Bait making Advice

CaliBassin

I love basswood, any eyes, and just make sure you seal the wood, polyurethane, multiple coats. Devcon 2 ton epoxy works great for a top coat. You can find screw eyes at home depot. Just super glue the hook hangers in. 

Pm me if you need any more help.

5 minutes ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

I love basswood, any eyes, and just make sure you seal the wood, polyurethane, multiple coats. Devcon 2 ton epoxy works great for a top coat. You can find screw eyes at home depot. Just super glue the hook hangers in. 

Pm me if you need any more help.

Thanks a lot. Big help

The best advice I can give is to search this forum and watch every YouTube video you can find. There are a million different ways to make these baits, and no one does it the same. You just gotta find out what works for you. Keep in mind, there is a lot of trial and error in this process, so don’t get discouraged if your first bait doesn’t turn out like you expected. 

Good advice above.   I've used a few woods and have found red cedar to be good for topwater baits, it has a lively swim.  I was getting rough sawn 2x6x8's for less than $20 thru lowes, not sure of the wood market today. They didn't stock it at my store but shipped it free to the store. While you will have a few knots, you can make a lot of baits out of a stick, I was making between 20-30 rats each.  Try different type and see what you like.  Four for sure rules, seal your baits well,  use stainless steel hardware, use quality epoxy or SG for your hardware and have fun! 

Tackle Underground is a great bait making forum that has years worth of threads on it. Everything you could ever want to know on just about any sort of bait. I actually came here from there. YouTube as stated above is great as well. Different woods have different properties, but in general any type will work with pros or cons. I second a easy to manipulate wood such as cedar, as it is readily available and cheap at most hardware stores.

• 3 weeks later...

I like re-purposing stuff so I use scrap wood from broken fence boards from my back yard, pallet wood, fallen tree limbs, tool handles and scrap pine 2x4's. They have all worked well- denser woods work well for swim baits, plus they're free. If I screw it up it doesn't matter, but so far all of them have surpassed my expectations. Tuning is the hard part but also really satisfying to do. I don't make a lot of baits but spend time fixing what I make.  I think I learn more that way.  I'm not into making baits to sell or mass producing - I don't sell my lures because they're a part of me.  Don't give up on a 'failed lure' - my favorite is a bluegill I made that didn't work at first and I set it aside. Later on I kept tinkering with it and it is my favorite.