Why I dont night fish

Loganodum38

We don't have it THAT bad but it can still get bad and I do know the frustration. I'm not game for such anymore, for a variety of reasons, but the trick we found was get two portable bug zappers and place them either side.  I'm talking like 5ft either side. They're cheap and those bastards will go right for it. The trick is stay in between and allow light penetration all around you. Step away and you're fair game. It's a pain since technically you can't move much, and if you do you got more to move with. But, your eyes will adapt and extra light never hurt seeing gear or landing fish or that rock you'd otherwise trip over. It's a trade off.  They're noisy though, if not function then certainly when those bastards explode hitting it. Outside that, I never found anything that made a worthwhile difference. I tried bug spray, lots and lots of spray, tried harmonic mosquito control devices that theoretically they don't like, the dryer sheet thing, rubbing them on me, stuffed in and hanging out my hat, strapped around my waist if you can believe that nonsense, even went so far as to generously smear petroleum jelly on exposed skin outside my hands. All that did was stick a bunch of live pissed off bastards all over my face. Don't do that. Get two quality portable zappers and keep the batteries fresh. Won't solve everything but will help.

Sounds like I got lucky. All we have that I've encounter are those mini flying bugs. Mayfly, I think that's what they are. It's ok as long as you dont turn on your head lamp. But soon as you do, they would land everywhere on and around you. So i do my best not to use the light. The red light doesn't attract them so that a win. 

As for moutain lions, I haven't encountered any yet, but I can never be too sure. Any kind of a concealed weapon is a must. Raccoon, a ton! I hate it when you fish the shore line and theres a huge slash and you think you hooked onto a good one and its a coon. Bummer. 

Wasn't a believer until I tried it... The OFF clip on bug repellent works great.  I'll bring 2, clip 1 on the front of my pants and 1 to the back of my PFD by my neck.  Been using it for 3 years without an issue all over the east coast, including the back-woods of Maine.

https://www.amazon.com/OFF-Clip-Mosquito-Repellent-Unit/dp/B00DF970FQ

Also another good piece of info for night fishing.... Know how to do everything on your boat/kayak in the dark.  Things like dealing with a birds nest and changing baits.

Spring is here boyssssss

I go with long sleeves, long pants, a wool cap, and a Buff.  Then I use bug spray on the outside of the Buff (I should just get one of the bug-deterring ones), one the backs of my hands, and I'm ready to rock.  Mountain lions?  Well, I'm sure they've seen me but I've not seen them - if I'm fishing a lake that's known to have lions, then I either fish with a partner (somebody will get to tell the wives that the other one got eaten) or I fish out of my pontoon.  Rattlesnakes are a worry at a couple of spots, so I scan the ground with my headlamp, especially when I move up from the water's edge.  But I still can't help myself - I love the night bite - there's nothing like listening to a big Slammer swimming peacefully back to you only to have it get monstered in a toilet bowl flush!

Yeah I agree with hawgsnhogs here, I eat really HOTT spicy foods and never get tore up. Right now I'm eating Carolina reaper salsa on everything by the spoonfuls. Not a bite yet. I have seen the mosquitos buzzing around me but haven't got bit yet.

11 minutes ago, GoblinSlayer said:

Yeah I agree with hawgsnhogs here, I eat really HOTT spicy foods and never get tore up. Right now I'm eating Carolina reaper salsa on everything by the spoonfuls. Not a bite yet. I have seen the mosquitos buzzing around me but haven't got bit yet.

I was eating lunch with my dad today and somehow got on the topic of mosquitos and told him that I wanted to give that idea a shot, he said “son i just about drink Texas Pete and I get tore up” lol

On 5/10/2019 at 8:46 PM, Loganodum38 said:

I was eating lunch with my dad today and somehow got on the topic of mosquitos and told him that I wanted to give that idea a shot, he said “son i just about drink Texas Pete and I get tore up” lol

You gotta up the scoville units. Try a serrano or a cayenne pepper salsa. Texas pete is like water to me at this point lol 

On 5/13/2019 at 5:30 AM, Mountainryan said:

Treat your clothes with a permethrin treatment. They can’t bite you if they die when they land on you. 

Definitely I’m a forest ranger and we get tons of it for free to keep ticks off and it definitely helps, also a therma cell helps a lot on a calm night I know guys mentioned it or something similar but it’s a must have hunting with lots of bugs around