Glide Baits

flaswimbaiter

I've got the Sillva in the same size as the video. Moves like the video too, but I'd prefer a less drawn out profile.

Try an Evergreen Esflat. Fatter profile instead of long and skinny.

Or the FLT Barauque (sp?) Same size as the s-waver a little fatter "gill like" profile.

get more follws than anything tho

It's ridiculous how many followers my Slide Swimmer and Negotiator get. Fish of all sizes, even tiny ones. The other day, I had about 20 bass fingerlings school up on it. Sean jokes that they think "that guy really looks like he knows where he's going and he has a purposeful stride - let's all follow him!"

BTW, this is what the Esflat looks like:

7269esflat_bluegill.jpg

If you go to the ichiban tackle site, you can see all of the color options.

Since you guys mentioned the Esflat and the S waver. You might also want to look at the Jackall Giron. I had some success with it this spring. Definitely a slalom style bait (but tighter pattern) higher profile panfish shaped bait but on the small side at around 3 inches. Also probably a lot easier to source than evergreen stuff.

I just got my first glide bait last week. Picked up the F-18 off Jfish. Its a damn sweet bait! I threw it sunday for about 3 hours. I looked for the same situations that id look for with a triple trout or other hard bait. I couldnt believe how many followers I got! I was sitting on one hump fan casting where I normally throw hudds and was even getting followers out of open water which I dont normally get. I know its just a matter of time before I find the trigger to get them to hit, but just the drawing power was amazing to me. Definatly has me wanting more now lol. 8-)

Go to Y-tube and watch some videos on gan craft claw sucks casue i don't understand japanese but get some cool vids of bait in action and def made me think about looking into these type baits.So nice casue they are available and not to badly priced.Worth checking into ;)

I've been messin' with the glide baits since last summer when I picked up a couple Deps Sride baits, Ragos Gladiators and that Shimano large Waxwing hard baits. They're all "s" glide baits that basically work better the slower you retrieve the bait resulting in a wider glide. Also figured out that if you kept the rod tip down, literally in the water, you could do more with the bait without fudging up the glide. The higher the rod tip on the retrieve, the more difficult to control without the bait canting on one side or having a tendency to roll with a faster retrieve.

Glide baits seem to me to be really unforgiving the more aggressive you are with you're rod action. Gentle twitches and short rips are the extent of it but they want to 180 on you at the end of the action and rollover towards the direction of the "s" glide. The Srides gave me some great fish action on faster cranks resulting in some great hits on decent bass. I've had the best reaction to the Glidiator when I keep it higher in the water column like a heavy floater and when there's a fairly brisk wind, almost literally in the white caps. The hits I've had have all been misses on them though. Bass seem to have a tough time judging the Glidiators that low in the waters surface. Haven't caught one yet with them but seems inevitable now that I know how to fish them. I have few of the cheaper Roman Mades (Souths and Negotiaters) with that same action and they really look great in the water. Haven't fished them enough yet to talk about their ability to catch fish but we'll see ...

Tim

Glide baits can work in a wide variety of conditions. Regardless of the brand its a bait you have to spend some time with refining your presentation as they are very much influenced by your cadence and even rod position. I recommend getting one in a high visibility color if your not super familiar with working them so that you can track its movement and really gain control of the bait. You should feel a strong tug on your rod each time it changes direction and you can develop that 'cadence' feel to help you fish it at night and know its working correctly.

My personal favorite retrieve is a full wind (and turn)...slightest pause....full wind (and turn)...slightest pause at a medium pace. The momentum the bait gains coming out of the turn allows it to continue gliding to a brief stop (suspension) before it continue and changes direction again. I strive for the longest glide ending with that super short pause. The fish I've caught either jump on it really quick as soon as I start my retrieve or when they follow....seem to attack it on that slightest of pauses which feels odd because it dulls the feeling because the bait is on semi-slack line. Nonetheless, you will sense something has changed. And I've had several eat both hooks. If the fish are very aggressive you can mix it up winding and adding in some 'english'...raise your rod tip and bring the bait on top....they are very dynamic baits and also somewhat 'technical' baits to fish. You control the depth, the length of the glides and the cadence of the glides....its not something you just take out of the package and have an instant feel for.

Its something the fish aren't as conditioned to seeing so that can definitely provide an advantage. They can turn deadly at any time but I think they really shine in the same conditions a triple trout will. Bluebird skies in the heat of summer. I think they excel in clear water because the cadence of the bait matches the movements of the baitfish in the water and I think negatives like hardware and hooks are somewhat harder for the bass to detect (due to its movement). Its a bait that forces their hand....do I let it go by....or do I eat it...

Think about how prey respond to a predator....if your being chased by a tiger are you going to run in a straight line?....or are you going to weave and bob as a last ditch effort to save yourself?......Thats the mindset I have when I'm fishing the bait in warm water. Floaters can be had but I personally think slow sinkers glide better and can still be worked on top.

Glide on....

JK

Glide baits can work in a wide variety of conditions. Regardless of the brand its a bait you have to spend some time with refining your presentation as they are very much influenced by your cadence and even rod position. I recommend getting one in a high visibility color if your not super familiar with working them so that you can track its movement and really gain control of the bait. You should feel a strong tug on your rod each time it changes direction and you can develop that 'cadence' feel to help you fish it at night and know its working correctly.

My personal favorite retrieve is a full wind (and turn)...slightest pause....full wind (and turn)...slightest pause at a medium pace. The momentum the bait gains coming out of the turn allows it to continue gliding to a brief stop (suspension) before it continue and changes direction again. I strive for the longest glide ending with that super short pause. The fish I've caught either jump on it really quick as soon as I start my retrieve or when they follow....seem to attack it on that slightest of pauses which feels odd because it dulls the feeling because the bait is on semi-slack line. Nonetheless, you will sense something has changed. And I've had several eat both hooks. If the fish are very aggressive you can mix it up winding and adding in some 'english'...raise your rod tip and bring the bait on top....they are very dynamic baits and also somewhat 'technical' baits to fish. You control the depth, the length of the glides and the cadence of the glides....its not something you just take out of the package and have an instant feel for.

Its something the fish aren't as conditioned to seeing so that can definitely provide an advantage. They can turn deadly at any time but I think they really shine in the same conditions a triple trout will. Bluebird skies in the heat of summer. I think they excel in clear water because the cadence of the bait matches the movements of the baitfish in the water and I think negatives like hardware and hooks are somewhat harder for the bass to detect (due to its movement). Its a bait that forces their hand....do I let it go by....or do I eat it...

Think about how prey respond to a predator....if your being chased by a tiger are you going to run in a straight line?....or are you going to weave and bob as a last ditch effort to save yourself?......Thats the mindset I have when I'm fishing the bait in warm water. Floaters can be had but I personally think slow sinkers glide better and can still be worked on top.

Glide on....

JK

Well said about the Glide John 8-)

The last time I was chased by a tiger, it was at an older-folks

pick up bar in Anaheim Hills. And yes, I bobbed and weaved like heck ;):lol: