8.5" Trout Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

Any further word on this masterpiece of a bait? I'm always interested in seeing what design features it keeps taking on.

Thanks for following along, Morgan!

I’ve slowed down a bit on the building side as I try to get fishing time in. That said, I have been using this bait to tinker around with some secret mods, but most likely I will make a new bait as a dedicated canvas for those features.

This trout (along with some other baits) is pretty close to completion feature-wise but is still awaiting a final mold. My last big order of silicone was all bad so I need to get more materials on order. After I finalize the mold it’s all boring work of dialing in the resin ratios, ballast weights, hardware, finish, etc.

6 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

Thanks for following along, Morgan!

I’ve slowed down a bit on the building side as I try to get fishing time in. That said, I have been using this bait to tinker around with some secret mods, but most likely I will make a new bait as a dedicated canvas for those features.

This trout (along with some other baits) is pretty close to completion feature-wise but is still awaiting a final mold. My last big order of silicone was all bad so I need to get more materials on order. After I finalize the mold it’s all boring work of dialing in the resin ratios, ballast weights, hardware, finish, etc.

Although that process is boring it's arguably the most important as far as building a consistent and durable bait. It's good to hear that the final blank is mostly done though, what you've done with that bait truly is incredible.

• 2 months later...

It’s been awhile but I’ve been taking my time really trying to learn all the ins and outs of this bait. I’ve changed things up and am now fishing it on an entirely different setup (Shimano 7’8” SLX paired with a Curado 300K) which I feel has really helped me fish the bait more effectively for extended periods of time.

A1155CDA-0797-4A97-9353-669E500A1B9C.thumb.jpeg.f9a78d29f23ff0b535448ef612971a08.jpeg

I have since lost my pb striped bass on the bait and even landed my pb carp(!) on it which is a huge confidence boost in committing to throw the bigger stuff. Once all this CA flooding subsides and the bass bite warms back up I’ll be ready. I hope to catch my first big glide bass this season…and hopefully it will be an upgrade in the fish’s size as well (unofficial pb has been stuck at 6.7lbs).

F176D5B6-89A7-4024-83DA-118AD42CE2BE.thumb.jpeg.2051f124f08df09bb14b9eb64104cae2.jpeg

On 1/8/2023 at 10:38 PM, danthefisherman said:

It’s been awhile but I’ve been taking my time really trying to learn all the ins and outs of this bait. I’ve changed things up and am now fishing it on an entirely different setup (Shimano 7’8” SLX paired with a Curado 300K) which I feel has really helped me fish the bait more effectively for extended periods of time.

A1155CDA-0797-4A97-9353-669E500A1B9C.thumb.jpeg.f9a78d29f23ff0b535448ef612971a08.jpeg

I have since lost my pb striped bass on the bait and even landed my pb carp(!) on it which is a huge confidence boost in committing to throw the bigger stuff. Once all this CA flooding subsides and the bass bite warms back up I’ll be ready. I hope to catch my first big glide bass this season…and hopefully it will be an upgrade in the fish’s size as well (unofficial pb has been stuck at 6.7lbs).

F176D5B6-89A7-4024-83DA-118AD42CE2BE.thumb.jpeg.2051f124f08df09bb14b9eb64104cae2.jpeg

Great looking bait, need more pikeminnow baits in Northern California!

3 hours ago, JustBassinAround916 said:

I need one asap! Haha awesome looking baits man, wish i had your skills 

Haha thanks, it took me many years and many failures to get to where I’m at now. Let me know if you ever want to pick up that wake bait that you were working on again, maybe I can help shorten the learning curve for ya ;)

2 hours ago, Hooksets_arefree said:

Great looking bait, need more pikeminnow baits in Northern California!

For sure! I can guarantee you it’s on the list of future projects…when I’ll finally get to working on it is another issue haha

• 3 weeks later...