8.5" Trout Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

Well you all probably know by now that I can't keep myself from working on something new even when I have other projects not completed yet haha. For the past three years, I've been wanting to make my very own trout glide bait that I felt confident to fish with. Having never even owned a true glide bait until about a year ago, it was quite the process trying to figure out all of the different factors that go into creating a functional and well-balanced glide bait. My first attempt at the bait back in May 2016 didn't even see completion because I was still a novice at carving with a blade and didn't like the look of it. I started work on my second attempt a few months later and brought that model to completion with decent results with regards to action. My third attempt at the bait started in January 2017, and I continued to work on this model for a good two more years in attempts to dial in a consistent glide and improve the bait's cosmetics. It was a very rough ride with many mistakes made during this two year period, but I learned a lot that will hopefully help me along the way with this new carve.

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32168-its-a-keeper/
http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34126-new-8-glide-project/
http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37728-keeper-glide/

With this new bait, I decided to go with a completely different head design and body profile. My older versions were designed with long and thin bodies to mimic the profile of a small stocked trout, but this really limited me in terms of the amount of ballast and hardware I could incorporate. This new bait will be a bit taller and thicker than my old versions in hopes that I will have more flexibility when it comes to ballast and hardware options. I will also be utilizing plastic urethane fins with this model which I have seen to provide far superior stability than hardened plastisol. The tail and joint designs on a glide are extremely pivotal in determining how the bait performs, and sometimes you just have to try different things and hope you get lucky. I actually began carving about a month ago but got sidetracked for a bit when I slipped and stabbed my leg pretty good with the knife. A trip to the hospital and a few stitches later and I'm back in business. :D

I'd hope that after all this time I will finally be equipped to get this bait up and running quickly and efficiently, but either way I'm sure it will be another good learning experience for me as a baitmaker. Any and all feedback is appreciated as I post updates from time to time. Thanks for looking and especially to those of you old timers who have been rooting me on since the beginning. I hope to make you proud some day haha!

1930003325_8.5troutproject.thumb.jpg.e235de8258e409460ff343aa6b4d6625.jpg

You’re always up to something man! 

Sucks about the leg, guess it could have been worse! 

Bait is lookin real nice already, digging the face/gill detail 

I agree with you on the thinner baits having tougher restrictions on ballast/rigging just simply do to the size of the bait. 

If you look at solar fall baits on IG his trout glides are meater and swim insane 

man when you guys finally get producing baits on a bigger scale, you’ll have all your bases covered 

2 hours ago, chefchris said:

You’re always up to something man! 

Sucks about the leg, guess it could have been worse! 

Bait is lookin real nice already, digging the face/gill detail 

I agree with you on the thinner baits having tougher restrictions on ballast/rigging just simply do to the size of the bait. 

If you look at solar fall baits on IG his trout glides are meater and swim insane 

man when you guys finally get producing baits on a bigger scale, you’ll have all your bases covered 

Thanks Chris! Haha yeah we can't help it... our minds are always all over the place thinking up new projects and what to carve next. :P

41 minutes ago, Rogervang said:

Ouch a knife to the leg. Hopfually it heals soon.

Now your thinking like a bait maker, just kidding I have no clue what a bait maker thinks.  Haha the bait is looking sweet. Cant wait to see what itll become. 

Thanks Roger! The cut was deep and it didn't close up all the way even with the stitches, so it looks like I'll be scarred for life. Thankfully the blade glanced off my shin bone/tibia and missed any muscle or important tissues, but it was still anything but enjoyable. This bait better be worth it lol

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly but steadily making progress on my master carve...trying to take my time with making sure I situate the fins and joints in such a way that would allow me to have lots of wiggle room when it comes to placing the ballast and hardware. Of course I want the bait to look good too and to have the option of makeing different models from the same master carve. The profile is pretty angular and curved which wasn't really my carving style before but I like it.

Next up is cutting out fin slots, making the actual fins, sanding smooth the body and face, scaling like crazy, and finally molding the bait before prototyping. I'm planning to make a one piece mold first so I can play around with joint placement and such. My goal is to have my first prototype ready to fish by August which is pretty ambitious by my standards, but we have a trip to Clear Lake planned then which is good incentive for me haha. Already looking forward to getting this bait wet.

20190604_162429-01.thumb.jpeg.eab18fb6acebb94311d454113b3894fe.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jinxd12 said:

Pretty sweet man, glad I scored a belt sander for cheap no way could I sit for that long with a razor blade! 

It's definitely a battle of patience haha. I like using the blade because I feel more in tune with how I'm shaping the bait and it forces me to stop and think about what I'm doing.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Slowly making progress on this bait...have the general look more or less complete and now I'm just fixing up the fins (again) and other areas here and there before scaling. It's amazing how small changes like one tiny cut or a different fin shape can change the whole look and feel of the bait.

20200316_141536-01.thumb.jpeg.a8dc1c831c0299c974efce42501e89eb.jpeg

29 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

Slowly making progress on this bait...have the general look more or less complete and now I'm just fixing up the fins (again) and other areas here and there before scaling. It's amazing how small changes like one tiny cut or a different fin shape can change the whole look and feel of the bait.

20200316_141536-01.thumb.jpeg.a8dc1c831c0299c974efce42501e89eb.jpeg

so much want in this bait, looks great man.