8.5" Trout Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

So after over a year of carving and tweaking this bait and even stabbing myself in the leg trying to get it just right I'm still not 100% satisfied with it. For one, I am a bit concerned that I may have placed the joint too far back. Second, those soft fins are going to be a pain to pour without an injector (also I've taken a liking to hard, painted fins). Third, I just plain can't get over how it looks. It's not a bad looking bait, but there's just something somewhere about it that I can't seem to fix to fit my "style".

Thus I am putting this carve on hold to make way for a (hopefully) better one with all these issues resolved. I'm not giving up on the old carve just yet, but I'll be seeing this new one at least all the way through to the molding stage before picking it up again. The new master will have same specs with a slightly more streamlined body profile, different gill design, hard fins, and a different joint orientation.

Thanks to all of you who have been following along and rooting me on...it helps motivate me to push forward, learn from my mistakes, and strive to do my best. Happy building!

Dan

20200811_175754-01.thumb.jpeg.b687e3f7881ee49596a3caa222aa0370.jpeg

• 1 month later...

New trout is coming along slowly but surely! I like the look of this one a LOT better than previous attempts. Ran out of silicone yet again while trying to finalize another bait, so I have until the next order arrives to finish cleaning up and scaling this puppy.

My brother and I have a trip to Clear Lake coming up soon so I'm hoping I'll have a few prototypes ready to test out by then...not that I'll catch anything but you never know! :)

20201006_103154-01.thumb.jpeg.472d7166882577c121d0ebbb9cfc2859.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Rogervang said:

Bro, you came a long way! From your earlier creations to now, I would've never guess it's the same person. Great looking bait!

Thanks for the words of affirmation, Roger! I would've never guessed I'd come this far just starting out all those years ago :D

1 hour ago, azsouth said:

Detail is what sells the bait, Action is what catches fish.....VIDEO BRO!

Detail also gives me more confidence to keep throwing a bait when I'm not getting bit, but I agree haha. I'll be sure to try getting some video when she's done...just need to find some clear water!