8.5" Trout Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

1 hour ago, chefchris said:

so much want in this bait, looks great man. 

Much thanks, Chris...back at you brother!

1 hour ago, Rogervang said:

Man, this bait just look cooler and cooler everytime you post it up!

Just hoping I'll have her ready for the swap...thanks Roger!

1 hour ago, BrierBob said:

Jesus dude. Beautiful.

Thanks Bob!

• 2 months later...

Ever-so-slowly making progress on this trout. I almost quit and restarted since the last update because I wanted more realistic facial detail. The original intent was to go for a more artistic look and not follow a real trout's profile or head detail too much, but I decided I didn't really like it and sort of lost motivation to finish the bait. Before I went back to the drawing board to start over I figured I may as well experiment with the unfinished master to see what I could salvage. This is what I came up with after making a few changes to the gill plates and shaving the back down a bit. The result is a good ballance of realism and artistic design I think...the photo doesn't pick up the changes that well but in real life I like it a lot better than before. She just might be worthy to mold "soon"!

20200519_165036-02.thumb.jpeg.fe3b5235e98520930d37967cf0bf797e.jpeg

You are in too deep man, we have all been waiting so long just mold it so we can sleep at night.... lol seriously looks great I say don’t bother with scales, I think it gives a better canvas for a premium paint scheme and I think without the ridges of scales catching on the the hooks via hook rash the paint lasts longer, but with a smooth canvas you need a more refined paint job, just my 2 cents

13 hours ago, azsouth said:

I would say it is art.... I would love to know what the fish think.

I can only pretend to guess how many hours of thought you have already put into this bait. Keep moving forward!

Many, many hours...I hope the fish can appreciate it :D

11 hours ago, BrierBob said:

That is incredible. 

Thanks again, Bob!

10 hours ago, JCswimbaits said:

You are in too deep man, we have all been waiting so long just mold it so we can sleep at night.... lol seriously looks great I say don’t bother with scales, I think it gives a better canvas for a premium paint scheme and I think without the ridges of scales catching on the the hooks via hook rash the paint lasts longer, but with a smooth canvas you need a more refined paint job, just my 2 cents

Haha thank you! I'm torn between the scales or no scales...have always loved the look of 3d scaling but also realize that it can sometimes detract from a good paint job if say I wanted to employ mesh scaling.

I love it man, this bait is beautiful. Mold that bad boy and sent a wake version my way. Haha. I personally like the plain canvas but from a bait makers perspective, everyone one have their own taste especially when it comes down to molding a permanent bait. Either way it looks good already, I seriously thought you were going to mold it before I even read the post. Haha 

11 hours ago, Rogervang said:

I love it man, this bait is beautiful. Mold that bad boy and sent a wake version my way. Haha. I personally like the plain canvas but from a bait makers perspective, everyone one have their own taste especially when it comes down to molding a permanent bait. Either way it looks good already, I seriously thought you were going to mold it before I even read the post. Haha 

Thanks Roger! Yeah I don't know what it is about the scales but I just like to have them on everything...I guess in my mind every little added touch of realism helps.

It has begun...just couldn't help myself :P

I like taking lots of photos as I progress with a build as it helps me locate flaws in the carve that can be fixed. It can also be maddening when inconsistencies in the wood keep popping up with each scale carved or layer of material removed. In the end you just have to make the best from what you have. Regardless I think these scales are gonna look great catching the light!

20200522_144413-01.thumb.jpeg.b024127811f163c8e27ff0005b4a9c92.jpeg