danthefisherman

13 hours ago, Rogervang said:

Dude! That look good already!

Thanks Roger!

9 hours ago, Fishfoo said:

Art !!

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Toro blanco said:

Lookin good! I like the attention to detail you put in the lure. Can't wait to see the finished results.

Can't wait myself! Thanks!

6 hours ago, Chris R. said:

This bait is looking amazing. I definitely think the scales was the way to go! The look from just the first few rows is sick. 

Yeah I'm really liking the scales...my hand was cramping up after a few hours of scaling last night but will resume today. Thanks!

Almost finished carving the scales into one side. I opted for a smaller scale profile to match trout scales better. Carving at such a small scale like this gets really tricky however as the wood will start to flake and chip. It's important to be aware of the grain and variation in wood density with such a delicate process. In the photo you can see that the scales will really bring the grain back to the surface even if the master was sanded completely smooth. Areas of less defined scales generally occur where the wood is "higher density" or compacted in any way. I will need to go over these areas again in attempts to make the scales uniform. After completely scaling the body I will clean out the fin slots and touch up any inconsistencies in the scale pattern. Things are coming together and I'm getting excited!

20200523_112441-01.thumb.jpeg.b2cc85de84df5aa811f8cf49e4980eea.jpeg

18 hours ago, azfisher said:

Labor of love right there,   beautiful!!

Thanks Will! Pouring all of my effort into this one!

16 hours ago, asohoza said:

Wow, just wow!! Keep at it man. What a masterpiece. 

Thank you and will do!

14 hours ago, Kyearsley said:

Looking great!

Thanks!

16 hours ago, BassBound said:

Man that is looking sweet.

Thank you!!

7 hours ago, TootsMalone said:

Looks really awesome man! Are you using a gouge on those scales or just a super steady hand with a straight knife? 

Thanks Toots! I'm using a gouge for these...just gotta be extra careful in case the wood starts cracking or chipping. I've found that if you start on the edge of the tool and sort of roll into it the scales come out a lot cleaner.

• 2 months later...