300TE vs. 400TE

Fat-G

Last night I was thinking about trying to trade my 400TE for a 300TE, so I have a more versitile reel that can throw a little bit lighter weights as well, as opposed to the mammoth that is the 400TE. The thing is, it's my Hudd reel, and I certainly don't want to feel like I lost a ton of power or I don't have enough line capacity.

Is the 300TE still a little beast? Just a tad bit smaller? I know it doesn't weigh much less, but weight isn't my concern. I think it would cast lighter baits a little bit better and feel better in my big ass hand all day.

I was just going to text Geoff, but I thought I'd see what everyone else has to say.

Nobody?

No loss of power, as the gear set is exactly the same. Same torque, different frame.

More narrow spool=more casting distance. It will also allow the casting of smaller baits with ease.

Keep in mind the frame is ONLY more narrow. The height is still the same. So there will be less reel handing off the palming side, but the same amount above it (if that makes sense :lol: ).

As far as line capacity goes, it really depends on what you are fishing (line). It seems you aren't really fishing super deep reservoirs, where you are rolling hudds in 50ft of water. In my opinion, you'd be fine.

If there was anything i missed, text me. You got my number ;)

Geoff

I've never fished the 400TE, but I have the 400B and a 300TE.

I keep 30LB big game on the 400(overkill, but mentally comforting) and I throw my 10" wake and Arm on that.

On the 300 I have 25LB big game, it holds PLENTY, I fish my hudds, jrs, anything over 3 oz on that. I have 3 of my 4 fish over 6.5 this year on that reel.

Like Geoff mentioned, I have NO loss of power, that reel is a freaking BEAST. They didn't slap "Total Efficiency" on the side for nothing.

I have. A 400 and 2 300s. Definately the same as everyone else has said on the no power loss. In my area i have to watch for the toothy critters so i use 80lb suffix 832 on the 400 and 65lb on one 300 then on the other i use 30 floro for throwin smaller hudds etc. I use my 400 to throw the big wakes nland 10" fs, i use the 300 with braid to throw 8" fs & fs shad or similar style baits.

I toss 6" baits just fine with the 400TE/ 25# PF . How small you talking? Never tried a 300 TE though.

I just hit a 9.1 on a 6" shad / 8' XXH LDC custom/ 400TE/ 25# PF. I did this because of people saying that it's over powering the bait. It's working out fine just a little less bend in the rod on the little guys but the big fish bend all rods :lol:

If it's for comfort over all then go for it but the 400 TE will handle anything in casting.

Hell prefishing for my tourneys I'm using my H and XH production rods/ 300's as my worm rods just to feel comfy out there LMAO!! I just can't use the short handle stuff anymore. :lol:

More narrow spool=more casting distance. It will also allow the casting of smaller baits with ease.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Why is that? The narrower spool means less mass and startup inertia so better for lighter baits? Something good to keep in mind. Thanks for the info

-Ali

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Why is that? The narrower spool means less mass and startup inertia so better for lighter baits? Something good to keep in mind. Thanks for the info

-Ali

I was wondering that too.

Narrower spool means the line has less distance to travel from side to side, creating less friction from the line coming off the spool at more extreme angles. Also helps the levelwind from having to work so hard traveling a longer distance back and forth (think narrow spool ABU's). Thats why they use the narrow spool ABU's in casting contests and do so well. Hopefully that made sense :?:

Also think of the fact that the levelwind traveling so far of the 400TE, will lose momentum faster than the 300's. The "kick" at the end of each lateral movement on the lineguide, keeps the 300 sized moving faster for longer.

Don't get me wrong, the 400TE is a great caster as well, but the narrower spool on the 300TE is better suited for the smaller baits like FS shads, 6" hudds, etc. But will also still throw the big dudes.

Again, this is all based on my experiences, so take it as that. I definitely don't claim to know it all, by any means. Just wanted to help shed light on what i've noticed.

Geoff

Just as a follow-up and not to totally high jack the thread:

Outside of line capacity, wouldn't the 200 and even 100 sized Calcutta TE throw the big baits just as well then? Or is there another component(s) to consider? Do the smaller Calcuttas give up something in construction to the bigger 300 and 400 sizes?

Just as a follow-up and not to totally high jack the thread:

Outside of line capacity, wouldn't the 200 and even 100 sized Calcutta TE throw the big baits just as well then? Or is there another component(s) to consider? Do the smaller Calcuttas give up something in construction to the bigger 300 and 400 sizes?

Negative there Hojo.... the smaller reels give up a lot when throwing big baits, besides a key component called line capacity. Call me after 6 tonight and I will expound upon this.

They do indeed give up a lot, line capacity for one. Drag for another.

Also to keep in mind the gearing is not made for larger lures, so you'll lose some feel there. The gears will "struggle" with large resistance baits, like armageddons, and big wake baits, not to mention grinding in fish...

I would say, in my opinion, stay away from smaller 100 sized reels, carefully select 200 size reels, and opt more for 300/400 size reels. They are much better suited for big bait duty.

Geoff