Big bass targeting during the full moon

Noreaster603

Hey guys I have been doing some reading online and am looking for a little advice on where to start. I have a small pond that I found that has two known fish that will break my PB by far. (I've seen them) and also received confirmation by folks around the pond that they are biggins. This pond is small has good lily cover and a ton of BIG bluegills in it, fairly shallow and stained water. With the full moon I figured it would give me the best shot at one of these fish. I know the general area where these fish tend to hang/should hang. My question to you is would you approach it with more stealth using a baby wake jr or a little more disturbance with a DRT Joker? I will be getting up early tomorrow before work and on the water for 0400 and I cant seem to decide which approach may entice the fish more. Just looking for advice or anyone else's experience in approaching bigger fish (i realize this isn't a one size fits all situation though) Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

I wouldn't overthink it. Be stealthy to start with. Since its a small pond, once you disturb it with a few casts I am sure everything will be in tune that something unnatural is going on. Make your casts count to high percentage spots along edges. Cannot speak for the Joker, never fished one; but a Wake bait definitely catches them. I prefer fishing a Rat with small twitches. The Baby wake can be fished the same way. Hope you break your PB.

thank you guys this is some great advice. I agree since it is a small pond the fish will be in tune with something going on quickly. I definitely will keep you guys posted I plan on hitting it once a week until I stick the fish and in hopes of the law of averages/not to over pressure the fish.

I think the game plan for now will be to start with the baby wake in isolated lillys in the middle of the pond then work the weedline edges with a weedless hudd gil.

@chazzy I will be fishing early morning right before the sun comes up

4 hours ago, chefchris said:

if its calm/flat water more stealth approach 

if its choppy/windy more noise/disturbance 

would be my direction

or throw a gill soft/hard bait along the weed edges as close to the bottom as possible 

Agree with this. Throw the Wake bait, maybe one to two casts. If nothing then chuck a seedless swimbait that sinks and swim it where you think they’ll be. 

If nothing then I’d go back to chucking the Wake bait all morning to get some fun bites and possibly hook into one of the Giants. More or less would be standard fishing instead of targeting. 

13 hours ago, biggfeast said:

Agree with this. Throw the Wake bait, maybe one to two casts. If nothing then chuck a seedless swimbait that sinks and swim it where you think they’ll be. 

If nothing then I’d go back to chucking the Wake bait all morning to get some fun bites and possibly hook into one of the Giants. More or less would be standard fishing instead of targeting. 

right on man, I appreciate it. I struck out this morning. this pond is pretty choked with weeds even the weedless hudd was getting some salad stuck on it. I may have to bust out the yak to better target the areas im looking at. Im pumped for my UFO to come in I think that may be a game changer.

3 hours ago, Noreaster603 said:

right on man, I appreciate it. I struck out this morning. this pond is pretty choked with weeds even the weedless hudd was getting some salad stuck on it. I may have to bust out the yak to better target the areas im looking at. Im pumped for my UFO to come in I think that may be a game changer.

The 'yak might be the best way to go - if the pond gets a decent amount of pressure then the fish are used to seeing lures coming from certain angles - changing angles and approaches might be the ticket.  The other thing to do is be really unconventional - consider throwing out a big realistic looking floating 'gill or trout bait (like a Mattlures Dead Twitch) and just dead sticking it past promising looking cover.  If you're really patient, try doing this at night in likely feeding areas.

3 hours ago, FishDr said:

The 'yak might be the best way to go - if the pond gets a decent amount of pressure then the fish are used to seeing lures coming from certain angles - changing angles and approaches might be the ticket.  The other thing to do is be really unconventional - consider throwing out a big realistic looking floating 'gill or trout bait (like a Mattlures Dead Twitch) and just dead sticking it past promising looking cover.  If you're really patient, try doing this at night in likely feeding areas.

thank you that is a good approach. I definitely agree especially with targeting them at night it gives me a little more advantage and concealment.

17 hours ago, Wes Peart said:

I always found night fishing on a full moon to suck. Unless it was overcast.

Pat Cullen of catching over a thousand bass over 10lbs fame wouldn't even bother to go out on a full, preferring the new.

2 hours ago, Fallof74 said:

I agree with Wes, full moon has been super booty for me. New moon has been by far the best period for me at night. Always start with a wake at night...if nothing is brewing then some subsurface plastic would be stellar. 

I am starting to agree with this theory, I had only a few half @$$ bites on wakes and landed one dink. I will give the new moon  a try. I mean theoretically with the full moon it is as close to day light fishing as you can get at night (if that made any sense) 

full moon fishing sucks unless its super overcast, at least for me according to my logs for fresh and salt/surfcasting

I try and get out before the moon rise if possible or go super early in the morning like head out at 330/4AM and fish til 7/8AM

New moon is where its at for me, both fresh and salt/surfcasting 

if its super bright and no cloud cover I stay home