Baits you're ashamed of

greentrout

rfhVW3P.jpg

This is a Strike King King Shad, a 4" 7/8 oz jointed crankbait basically. This was given to me probably back in 2007, and I modified it in 2008 by bending the bill to make it more of a waker. I also painted over the firetiger pattern. It's not a great bait, but I guess it's the first swimbait I ever had or threw. I have caught a few fish on it but it's nothing special.

Anyway, I thought it would be a cool idea to see if anyone else has baits they throw but may be a bit ashamed to.

None here. Traded those for some thousands of doll hairs :lol:

But you shouldn’t have any you’re ashamed of! You have them for a reason. Maybe you feel like some day it’s gonna catch you a beast. Maybe you feel like it’s a work of art and wanna collect a few. Maybe it’s what you can afford. Swimbaits are all awesome, for real. 

I am just ashamed I am terrible at throwing glide baits outside the gantarel or a trick style bait hahah

in all seriousness my arsenal has evolved quite a bit from the beginning to now. I started out with the SPRO BBZ RAT 50 but the thing catches fish, I have since upgraded to a woodrow. It basically comes down to budget at the time for me, does it catch fish (can I catch fish with it rather) if so sweet im sending it if not on to the next. This morning my least expensive or elusive bait was the one to produce. They all have their spot on the roster.

ashamed may or may not be the proper word to describe pile of baits that I painted and probably will never see water, after testing them. I keep them as a reminder to stay focused.

I have never thrown a bait that catches fish that I would ever be ashamed of fishing.

My .02

2 hours ago, Doomlurker said:

If there’s anything to be ashamed of, it would be owning all the hype baits and gear and never being able to get bit. 

Agree 100% haha. Nothing shameful in throwing any bait and trying to learn it. 

I think it’s more shameful to flex baits and have no fish caught. 

I think the one bait I'm embarrassed to say that I threw and that are still gathering dust somewhere in the tackle closet was a set of Reaction Strike Bass Harassers.  I got into swimbaits when Hudds were the thing and I just couldn't afford them, so I bought a few Bass Harassers instead.  I did catch fish on them, but I also lost fish because the ultra soft hooks would bend out.  Once I bought my first Hudd and compared it to the Bass Harasser, I realized that sometimes you really do get what you pay for.  I've not thrown a Bass Harasser since I was able to get Hudds and the difference in action and hardware quality is such that I'm not willing to unload the Bass Harassers on some unsuspecting newbie.  So they keep bathing dust...

I grew up finesse fishing for most of my childhood, so I basically threw anything all ranging from the dinky 3inch senko's to huge 12inch man's jelly worms. Back not to long ago i won a couple tournaments on Berryessa on Float N fly's, to make the long story short i would color my bobber tips orange so guys wouldn't find out that i was using bobbers during tournaments. Funny thing is that nobody really noticed that i was using a Float N Fly and i won tournaments on this simple technique. Still kill the largemouths on this even when guys don't realize I'm using a Float N Fly :)       

I find bait "reputation" to be one of the strangest phenomenons in swimbaiting. If it catches, I dont give 2 Fs what brand it is, what cool guy made it or how much it costs. The main goal in fishing is to catch fish, lol. One guy mentioned being ashamed of throwing a Gantarel, no way man. Those are fish catching machines. Throw it, catch bass. You'll out fish the guy trying to get a pic of a bass with a "trendy at the time" bait in it's mouth