Swimbait Help

djpeterbilt

I've handled a buddy's veritas and vengeance and those are great rods for what they are designed to do....flip, pitch, crank REGULAR baits.

The baits that have been recommended to you in this thread are a whole different animal. Those rods, while they may work for a while, are not specifically designed to handle bigger baits and are definitely not designed to actually THROW them.

Sure, a flippin' stick will throw two ounces of weight on a flip. Not much pressure there. When you really start to load up and rod and chuck a big bait, that is on a completely different level of stress on the blank.

Bottom line, it's gonna do one of two things: Fail you on the cast or fail you when the fish you are really after decides to hit your lure.

End result is still failure.

My budy who owns the Tackle Store where I go said it was made for throwing Alabama Rigs. So I assumed it would work for swimbaits as well.

Bro, you need to heed the advice of the guys on this board. If all you ever want to do is pin on a paddle tail, then use your regular bass gear and forget about it. If you think you want to be a swimbaiter, then this mindset is about to take you down an expensive and frustrating path. Proven baits, proper equipment, unrelenting persistence. That is all that works in swimbaiting. I didnt listen up at first, now I am and I am catching fish. Buy a handful of only proven baits, get a swimbait stick, force yourself to fish only that. Do that for a while and your mind will be blown and you will learn so much, break through so many barriers.

Bro, you need to heed the advice of the guys on this board. If all you ever want to do is pin on a paddle tail, then use your regular bass gear and forget about it. If you think you want to be a swimbaiter, then this mindset is about to take you down an expensive and frustrating path. Proven baits, proper equipment, unrelenting persistence. That is all that works in swimbaiting. I didnt listen up at first, now I am and I am catching fish. Buy a handful of only proven baits, get a swimbait stick, force yourself to fish only that. Do that for a while and your mind will be blown and you will learn so much, break through so many barriers.

I want the good stuff but being on one income in a family of 3 I have to watch my spending.

I want the good stuff but being on one income in a family of 3 I have to watch my spending.

Understandable. But so many other guys on here are in the same boat. Instead of the $50 now, save it for a month or two if need be and buy an okuma or something of the like. You won't regret getting an actual swimbait stick.

I've done the swimbait thing with a flippin stick starting out...long story short, it sucked! didn't cast as far as i thought, and like Speed said, you could hear the blank overstress. The swimbait rods are designed for big baits and long casts. Save yourself the trouble

Geoff

Understandable. But so many other guys on here are in the same boat. Instead of the $50 now, save it for a month or two if need be and buy an okuma or something of the like. You won't regret getting an actual swimbait stick.

I've done the swimbait thing with a flippin stick starting out...long story short, it sucked! didn't cast as far as i thought, and like Speed said, you could hear the blank overstress. The swimbait rods are designed for big baits and long casts. Save yourself the trouble

Geoff

Anything right now is a wait a see. But I am reading and listening to what you guys say.

I'll sell you a nearly new 7'11" XH Okuma for $75 shipped.

It would be less but shipping is a "Not Allowed" with almost 8' rods.

Let me know.

yeah I want it, let me get some funds built up. It may be a little while though.