3 Piece Gill and Crappie

chefchris

So after almost a full season of fishing my two piece wake n crank gills (same bait I made for the SU Grassroots Swap) I finally got around to making some 3 piece versions. 

changed up the eye location and head shape a little to match the first one I made. 

On these I did a few different things. 

burned all the accent lines/crappie markings like usual, but then after sealer I rubbed the baits with pearl powders instead of using any paint. So all the color there is pearl powder applied right to the wet sealed bait, no paints used at all. The powder technique is cool and definitely will do again knowing how it works now. 

the eyes on the gill are 12mm clear doll eyes with hand painted backs, the eyes on the crappie are old school amber glass eyes with gold painted backs. Tails are triple trouts, I liked the smaller looking tails like on the UFO baits so figured I’d give it a try. 

the epoxy top coat also has a new holo pearl I tried out for the first time on these baits. Has a lot of potential and designed to be applied over black for full effect, but didn’t want to use too much and ruin the baits. But have some ideas down the road for it.

the gill is 3.5oz, wakes on the surface and cranks down about 2’. 

the crappie is 3.75oz, swims subsurface and gets down about 4’, used a modified lip and more chin weight and bigger front hook. The color pattern was inspired by Corey aka _masterbaiter on IG, probably my favorite crappie pattern around and it’s pretty close to ones in my local spots.

ill get some swim videos and better pics this weekend and if the sun ever comes here in RI. 

thanks for checking em out. 
-Chef 

F013B5DE-65B1-47F7-9A6A-C655944B2376.jpeg

1D387B19-9490-4AD2-8BAA-40ABFACBA63D.jpeg

44576304-A9EA-4EFD-A6E8-34350CDAEA35.jpeg

3FE35516-04DA-49EF-8976-8C5AEFE29FE3.jpeg

D840BAFD-5F67-4A60-935E-B3275D582AF0.jpeg

C89028F7-13BB-4C7D-ADFF-670F1E37C6C7.jpeg

1242FEB1-FE02-4B3C-A4E3-BBC5266D6BE4.jpeg

DF91B859-FD1C-40B7-8AEC-3792CD5D9B2E.jpeg

2 hours ago, azsouth said:

You always catch fish on your baits!! Nice job....I wish all my baits would catch fish.

I do try and fish my own stuff as much as possible and I try and build stuff I know I’ll fish and works for my areas. Thanks man.! 

• 2 weeks later...