Newbie looking for some guidance in the swimbait/bass fishing community.

Oh Danny Boy

So I've been new to fishing and need to know some more information. It's funny because when I was a kid I never wanted to fish again due to getting hooked in my finger and getting traumatized ever sense. Now I've picked it up in during May and now I'm addicted. Between then and now I've gotten hooked a couple times but hasn't fazed me. Anyways I've been researching a lot and now I know some of the basics I guess you could say but want to learn more on the swimbait culture.

1. What are some of the best swimbait rods? (Custom or production)

2. What are some of the best swimbait rods that don't break the bank?

3. What type of line should I use?

4. How do you set up the swimbait? (Do you tie the line straight to the bait or do you use clips?)

5. Where would you use the baits and which color to use?

I'm based out in Dallas, Texas. I dont have a boat to go in rivers or lakes. I basically bank fish around locally. So so far I've caught 3 bass... but not on any swimbaits. I'm probably not fishing right or using the right bait. Not sure. I currently own a 7 ft. MH TFO rod paired with the shimano curado dc and also have a 7 ft. MH ugly stick paired with a daiwa spinning reel. Also just recently purchased a shimano scorpion antares and plan on possibly using it for a swimbait set up. I've been eyeing some DRT products but the ones I really want are sold out or are not available in the states.

Any tips/knowledge is much appreciated.

Thanks!

In order of your questions.

1. You can go with either but i would recommend getting a production rod at firs because custom rods are very expensive. Not sure what your rods are rated or what baits you plan on throwing but you will typically want a h or xh rod. Dobyns, phenix, or daiwa are a good place to start.

2. ^

3. I personally like izorline cxx copoly. lb test depends on baits you throw. i usually go with 20 lb and can throw up to 7 oz. YOu can also use fluoro mostly 25 lb abraizx.

4. Line connection I personally tie direct to soft baits and use a snap or split ring on my hard baits. One thing i go by personally is that if the bait comes with a split ring, it is probably meant to be fished with one.

5. I don't know what you fish but most will tell you to fish ambush point such as ledges, rock piles, weed lines, brush piles, etc. I usually don't worry about color other than clarity or sometimes food source. Go with what you feel is right or what you think they will eat.

Here is a link to an article that really helped guide me in the beginning: http://www.workingclasszero.net/quest-for-the-cure/

Also just search around on youtube and soak up any useful information you can find.

Hopefully this helps you. Welcome to the community! This is a good place for info and help

15 minutes ago, ewillsd said:

In order of your questions.

1. You can go with either but i would recommend getting a production rod at firs because custom rods are very expensive. Not sure what your rods are rated or what baits you plan on throwing but you will typically want a h or xh rod. Dobyns, phenix, or Daiwa are a good place to start.

2. ^

3. I personally like izorline cxx copoly. lb test depends on baits you throw. i usually go with 20 lb and can throw up to 7 oz. YOu can also use fluoro mostly 25 lb abraizx.

4. Line connection I personally tie direct to soft baits and use a snap or split ring on my hard baits. One thing i go by personally is that if the bait comes with a split ring, it is probably meant to be fished with one.

5. I don't know what you fish but most will tell you to fish ambush point such as ledges, rock piles, weed lines, brush piles, etc. I usually don't worry about color other than clarity or sometimes food source. Go with what you feel is right or what you think they will eat.

Here is a link to an article that really helped guide me in the beginning: http://www.workingclasszero.net/quest-for-the-cure/

Also just search around on youtube and soak up any useful information you can find.

Hopefully this helps you. Welcome to the community! This is a good place for info and help

I'm curious what the snap/ split rings are for?

I would like to get the drt klash or elements davinci 190.

Welcome from a fellow Texan. Don’t get too hung up on equipment or baits. Just pick up some basic essentially like MS slammers, some kind of rat, Mattlures hardgills, and maybe some glides like Deps Bullshooters or Savage Gear Shine glides. Learn to fish those and then move on to other baits. I’m still using some musky rods I got 10 years ago because they work and I’ve grown to love the feel of them. It’s easy to go nuts buying too much stuff that you’ll never use. There’s  plenty of time for that later. For now, focus on learning all you can with just a few baits and then you can apply that to newer, fancier gear. Most important thing is to get bit so you gain confidence!

14 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I'm curious what the snap/ split rings are for?

I would like to get the drt klash or elements davinci 190.

Snaps and split rings can allow your bait to have a much wider range of motion. If you tie direct, it could potentially limit the bait's action. Personally, I also like using snaps because it allows me to swap out baits quickly without having to retie as often. This is really nice when you only have one rod with you and don't want to waste time retying.