Jon Boat Swimbait setups...share your pics!

Jinxd12

I got rid of my bass boat last year, and miss being able to fish deep weedlines. 

I picked up a 12' Jon boat with a lil 3.5hp motor. Currently I'm building the front deck out, 1 middle cubby. Trying to keep it as light as possible so I can drag it around without a trailer...4x4 accessable spots are the best!

Share your setups, and opinions. I have researched and watched vids since I got rid of my big boat.

I've never used electronics but will set something up for future power needs.

IMG_20191111_152402.jpg

IMG_20191111_172410.jpg

IMG_20191113_181502.jpg

IMG_20191114_162832.jpg

Looking good man! I did a really similar set up on a 14 ft. The only problem with keeping it really light is that if you live in a windy area,wind will make a joke out of you. I have a 14 with two big batteries(probably 50lbs ea). A 25 hp two stroke (no idea on the weight), usually 300+ pounds of people, and like 50 pounds of gear and my foot does not leave the trolling motor once the wind pics up. Other than that it’s great and I can fit so many places that others can’t. You’ll have fun regardless. Idk if this helps at all but it’s just something to keep in mind. Post some pics when she’s done!!!

That looks great so far man. 

im sure you’ve been probably looked at the “tinyboats” IG page, if not check it out, so many crazy options and ideas. 

i love the small boats man, I have a crawdad and my buddy has a 09 tracker 175 pro and we fish out of my crawdad 9.5 out of 10 times. 

I live in Az, so we don't get super crazy weather, just skin burning up and melting of everything during summer.

I'm not to worried about getting blown around, I won't be fishing BIG waters. (Not in the beginning atleast...haha) Just want something that can get me off the damn bank!

Making this a "SUPER BUDGET BUILD", I work for a General Contractor so I can get materials fairly easily, depending on what it is. I will be keeping track of how much I spend to build to my needs.

Here is an update from last night. I almost went with "FREE" carpet squares but didn't like how it looked, couldn't roll the edges over the plywood.

$23 For carpet (47 cents per square foot at Lowe's)

$ 5.50 for carpet glue

MVIMG_20191116_184752.jpg

IMG_20191116_190649.jpg

Edited by Jinxd12

Looks good man. 

running a 12ft semi v with casting decks. Chris sd is right about the wind. as soon as you stand up, even the lightest breeze will sail you around. A battery and trolling motor will definitely help weigh things down for the wind. Used to tote mine around in the bed of my truck too but man did that get old fast. 

Also, did you coat the deck with anything to preserve the wood before adding the carpet? 

7E936CBE-28E1-46FE-AE08-5D35A5E43169.jpeg

0454E2A8-EC06-44D1-BA98-D342B85C4650.jpeg

29 minutes ago, TootsMalone said:

Also, did you coat the deck with anything to preserve the wood before adding the carpet? 

Yes, I hit it with some stain i had kicking around, and a coat of automotive clear coat rattle canned to top it off. 

Ill be using this in areas that are hard to get to, not big lakes so the back of my truck is the way ill be toting it around. I have some square tube aluminum that Im going to build some wheels in the back, that can be flipped around to load and unload. Make it a little easier to maneuver. 

I think on the front of back seat Im going to frame up something where I can put electronic hook ups, and a voltage meter. I would hate to run a trolling motor and have no juice because I ran it to long and couldnt monitor the voltage.

I want to stick a SU Carpet decal on the front deck, but I am not paying $40! That doesnt work for a budget build!!

7 minutes ago, Jinxd12 said:

Yes, I hit it with some stain i had kicking around, and a coat of automotive clear coat rattle canned to top it off. 

Ill be using this in areas that are hard to get to, not big lakes so the back of my truck is the way ill be toting it around. I have some square tube aluminum that Im going to build some wheels in the back, that can be flipped around to load and unload. Make it a little easier to maneuver. 

I think on the front of back seat Im going to frame up something where I can put electronic hook ups, and a voltage meter. I would hate to run a trolling motor and have no juice because I ran it to long and couldnt monitor the voltage.

I want to stick a SU Carpet decal on the front deck, but I am not paying $40! That doesnt work for a budget build!!

Right on, id hate to hear that deck rotted on you prematurely but i guess being in AZ you probably wont get caught in many rain storms. Good luck with the build man! 

2 hours ago, BrierBob said:

You taking the framer's furring angle?  Awesome job.  Planning on doing something similar this winter so keep me updated. 

Yup, its the 16ga exterior rated angle. Cuts with tin snips (little tough) and added additional bracing where needed. No holes drilled through the boat, only interior places. Sturdy as hell, pretty light weight and MUCH easier to work with than 1/16" aluminum stock.

Used Pan head self tappers and caulked the backside with Loctite caulking, to prevent screws from coming out. 

40 minutes ago, BrierBob said:

Ya 16ga will break\dull your snips or give you arms like Popeye. Framing looks really clean, good job. Can build the works with angle.

Thanks man! 

Best part was it was free!! I have a couple pieces of flat C channel that goes between metal stud walls if needed to keep the storage lid stiff.

Got the back seat done up,

Trying to figure out a good place to put a cheap 12v USB/voltage meter/12v plug panel.

Maybe between rear seat and the deck somewhere. Something big enough to mount a fish finder in the future.

IMG_20191117_180428.jpg

IMG_20191117_180409.jpg

Edited by Jinxd12