Best Crankdowns

CaliBassin

First for me is the Micro mink (I’ve weighted mine to get down a bit further)

Second would be the 3:16 hyper herring Crankdown version 

I haven’t put enough time into either of them yet, but the toxic whipper snapper and the bent lip wake n crank both crankdown really well!

1 hour ago, Dsouth said:

Baby Possum gets my vote + CL8 Clayton is an awesome guy to deal with he’s made me a # of custom piss them off crazy colors over the years along with heavier weighted ones that will get 6-10’ down depending on the line used and the rate of speed retrieved. I prefer slow cranking at ice out a few feet below the surface, ice out lakes that have shallow water with lay-downs are the places I target 1st. Stable weather patterns with sunny conditions warm shallows up quickly are the places I target 1st. Think ice out.LOL.      

10461943_455448584619697_1065345492909540723_n.jpg

I LOVE the color on that Possum...

similar to quite a few of you , Toxic cranks, Ceaser has it dialed....i would suggest, as Logan mentioned, to weight your hooks if u want more depth....for a smaller bait G2 all day can't count the numbers this little jewel has put in the boat....michel....Go Fish!!!

23 hours ago, Loganodum38 said:

I’d list baits but it’s just easier to say all toxics. Absolutely love those baits, man designed them to crank. I’ve had success in all of his models I currently own (mink, whipper snappers, wnc, and wade hoggs)but my most success has came on the whippersnapper. Fish the baits like a regular crankbait. Grass and wood is your best friend. 99% of my success has came from fishing grasslines and pumping into wood. The biggest mistake people make it only waking the baits. if you can get 2 of each bait, keep one stock for 0-3 foot and then buy an extra and weight the hooks and fish it on flouro. The deeper the better. All my biggest fish and 5fish limits on toxics have came from cranking them deep. Don’t be afraid to vary your retrieve either, burn burn pause works phenomenal.  Don’t worry, the extra hook rash from crankin them just adds cool points. 

Do the Mink and Whippersnapper crank down about the same with the Whippersnapper having a tighter action to it?

1 hour ago, jiggerjake said:

Do the Mink and Whippersnapper crank down about the same with the Whippersnapper having a tighter action to it?

personally for me i think the whippersnapper gets down farther, exact depth im not sure but i fish alot of grass and i have to rip out of the grass or pick grass off my hooks much more with the whipper snapper then the mink.  i wish i had a better answer for you. 

Lanciotti lures is another great crank down bait, I picked 1 up last spring and was extremely impressed with how it swims along with the depth it dives. The color I bought was Pearl White + Chartreuse, what bait ended up landing me the biggest LM in the C+R category in Mass for 2019 along with a tie for the biggest Pickerel C+R in Mass in 2019 so it’s a proved winner in my crank down book.

80574660_478871329730381_4716612881217486848_o.jpg

IMG_1805.JPG

On 2/5/2020 at 1:10 AM, Rubberdaddy said:

The baby possum cranker is truly legit! It also made one of my curado 301 sound like a blender!! Heavy bait lots of resistance

Hyper herrings get smoked too

I throw mine on a revo toro winch, it's the perfect reel for that big drag that bait has.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:26 AM, Dsouth said:

Baby Possum gets my vote + CL8 Clayton is an awesome guy to deal with he’s made me a # of custom piss them off crazy colors over the years along with heavier weighted ones that will get 6-10’ down depending on the line used and the rate of speed retrieved. I prefer slow cranking at ice out a few feet below the surface, ice out lakes that have shallow water with lay-downs are the places I target 1st. Stable weather patterns with sunny conditions warm shallows up quickly are the places I target 1st. Think ice out.LOL.      

10461943_455448584619697_1065345492909540723_n.jpg

I laughed when you told me to buy one now I have a dozen lol. It definitely gets smoked when they hit it.

8 hours ago, urbanhick said:

I laughed when you told me to buy one now I have a dozen lol. It definitely gets smoked when they hit it.

theres nothing subtle about the hits on the crankdown possum, they all smash it with so much aggression 

15 hours ago, Dsouth said:

Lanciotti lures is another great crank down bait, I picked 1 up last spring and was extremely impressed with how it swims along with the depth it dives. The color I bought was Pearl White + Chartreuse, what bait ended up landing me the biggest LM in the C+R category in Mass for 2019 along with a tie for the biggest Pickerel C+R in Mass in 2019 so it’s a proved winner in my crank down book.

IMG_1805.JPG

I thought they were wake baits. Can't wait to toss mine.

lancioti.jpg

16 hours ago, Dsouth said:

IMG_1805.JPG

You were my hero even before hearing that. Congrats! 

1 hour ago, urbanhick said:

I thought they were wake baits. Can't wait to toss mine.

lancioti.jpg

Chuck the one I used last year worked great as both a wake-bait worked slowly on top along with deep cranking, super buoyant material Joeys using so they rises quickly on a pause. That’s a great thing having the ability to plow into weeds and wood and pause then keep cranking. Joeys Trout’s also look nice, hoping to add 1 of them to my ice out cranking arsenal this spring.

60699589_306288173655365_1247563114723934208_o.jpg

Surprised no one said Pats perch. They are hard to get but worth it IMO. For ease of cranking for long periods and depth of crank I’ll go with “old reliable” og wood pats perch. Toxic waken’crank and wade hoggs are a really good option. Baby possum is great, it’s just a beast to throw that thing for a couple hours. Deep crank slammers are great just hard to find the”right” one.  New custom perch waken’crank did some damage this fall. 

377C0F37-42D4-4FFC-BCCB-642859F2B616.jpeg

0A170961-1090-467F-B21B-FB1C3A05AE25.jpeg