Weather/Moon Phases

h20fowler

Due to chiro school my free time is very limited, so I try and take advantage of any opportunity to go fish. I'll fish pretty much any weather condition/moon phase. My uncle swears by Doug Hannon's moon clock. But just curious, is there any times when you guys know the conditions aren't right and the bite isn't gonna be there.. Certain moon phases, fronts coming in, barometric p, or a combo of these?

"A bad day on the water is better than a good day at the office."

is there any times when you guys know the conditions aren't right and the bite isn't gonna be there."

High pressure bluebird skies days.

I prefer low pressure, overcast, and SW winds, and a new moon, however, I go when I can.

Due to chiro school my free time is very limited, so I try and take advantage of any opportunity to go fish. I'll fish pretty much any weather condition/moon phase. My uncle swears by Doug Hannon's moon clock. But just curious, is there any times when you guys know the conditions aren't right and the bite isn't gonna be there.. Certain moon phases, fronts coming in, barometric p, or a combo of these?

"A bad day on the water is better than a good day at the office."

Woops. Misread the "isn't" as an is. In that case!!!! Don't fish during the cold fronts... it sucks.

I prefer fishing after a very hot day, any night as long there is a little bet of moon light. Moon is an added bonus prime location is the key… But then again I also go whenever I can… I been lucky fishing when it’s overcast or during warm weather with mixer of light rain. “El Niño†8-)

Been trying to figure that out my self.

I think weather is the biggest factor.

Season and moon are deffinetly a factor, But It dont matter how perfect the seasonal pattern or moon phase is if the weather is in a funk.

With that said. I've went out on days that I thought were gonna be tough and pounded 'em and been out on days that everything seemed just right and bombed.

Pre front can be awsome but for the most part I like a few days of stable weather and for the moon thing I pay more attention to the daily peak times than the phase.

I fish when I can and just blame the weather when it sucks.

Been trying to figure that out my self.

I think weather is the biggest factor.

Season and moon are deffinetly a factor, But It dont matter how perfect the seasonal pattern or moon phase is if the weather is in a funk.

With that said. I've went out on days that I thought were gonna be tough and pounded 'em and been out on days that everything seemed just right and bombed.

Pre front can be awsome but for the most part I like a few days of stable weather and for the moon thing I pay more attention to the daily peak times than the phase.

I fish when I can and just blame the weather when it sucks.

What he said.

If I am going alone I always sleep late and start around 10am. After years of getting up early I had never caught a fish or seen one caught over ten pounds before 10am so that's when I start. I avoid full moon mornings completely if possible and fish the afternoon. Weather always has the biggest influence on the fish but I just go whenever I can and deal with it.

I'm with the guys that say just go fish.

I have tried every phase of the moon along with over head, under foot. High pressure, low pressure pre-frontal and post frontal weather patterns. My personal best fish came in the middle of the day with a bluebird sky in August about 5 yrs ago. My two best over-all days were actually post frontal weather conditions. My point is you really can't predict what the fish are going to do.

What I have discovered about the places I fish the most is the one thing that affects the fishing the most is water clarity. If it's muddy or heavily stained it's prolly gonna be a long day/night.

This topic popped up in my mind a few months ago. I tested night fishing on a fullmoon for June and July with great results, But August's new moon and a week after proved even better results. The bass were active and were crushing blue gill or smaller bass along the shore line. Since I was bank fishing, I walked until I found submerged rock piles to boulders. Toss out a wake bait, keep it tight to structures, and slow roll it to death, they'll hit when you least expect it!!! For me, I found that the bass in my lake seem to hit more during a new moon and a full moon.