All-Around gear ratio

Sharkleyy

Hello guys, i found a great deal on a Daiwa reel. Should i go for the 7:3:1 gear ratio model, or lower 4:9:1. It will be paired with either a dobyns 795 or 806 as an all-around beginner setup. I know isn't ideal, but we have to start somewhere. Thanks

1 hour ago, StriperAddict said:

I would go with the higher ratio. Its easier for me to slow down than to try and crank a 4.9 like a maniac.

Agreed. You can always slow down and it's easier than having to speed up.

7 hours ago, MA Frog Man said:

I assume your talking about the Catalina tw? Id go 4.9 with that reel. Theres a 10 inch difference on IPT between the 4 and the 7. The 4.9 has a higher drag and a slower ratio will pay off with the longevity especially in a low profile

I recently picked up 2 of them in 4.9 from TT. Haven't had them out yet but they seem like a solid quality reel.Cast a mile. Plus they where the best deal I've gotten on a reel ever.haha

if i was looking to get one for an all around reel i would go with the higher gear ratio. now i love dragging soft baits on the bottom and fishing rats / wake baits so if i was in the market for a new reel for those specific situations i would defintly jump on that 4.9. for now i just use my TD Luna 300L  for it all

On the topic of the ratio, I just bought the first 6.x ratio reel I’ve had in probably 5 years. I hope I don’t regret it. Best all around I’ve used has been a 5.4 Nacl. Has the right amount of line pickup while still sporting the low ratio for the power I like

17 minutes ago, Jinxd12 said:

Also, since it hasnt been stated....for some including me it's pretty dang hard to slow down!

I have to constantly remind myself to slow down on my high speed reels, about every 5 seconds!

Yup. A lot of people don’t fish slow enough....even with those “fast” baits. We learned back when we started bass fishing that big fish prefer to not chase. Few calories spent + high calorie intake = big fish feeding strategy. This is why the jig is arguably the best big fish conventional bait ever made. It really helps to have that slowwww gear ratio and keep your bait in front of a big fish that extra second.