First attempt carving a bait

Dirty Diesel

I have been really interested in all of the builds in the grassroots section. There are some really amazing baits coming out of here! There is a lot of talent in the grassroots section and hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction. I have never carved anything before this is my first attempt. Please hit me with some constructive criticism I want to get better at this and hopefully make a bait that works! 
This is what I have so far, I found a piece of redwood on a job site, I wanted to carve it just to see if I even have what it takes. I know Basswood or something more consistent and would be a better start but I’m trying to see if I even have the skills to invest into any bait making materials.

F9C90B20-D193-478B-9D36-C4D58262CDB6.jpeg

B1347EDC-360B-4166-8648-DCF0A4F2F8BB.jpeg

810C475A-D3E0-4BE5-AB0A-6786F960509B.jpeg

D0B057D6-2FA7-4E4A-87B4-73B1EB751F71.jpeg

My goal is to make a master so I can make a mold. I would like to pour Resin so I can try different joints styles and try different body sectioning to try to find tune the type of swim that I’m looking for.I would really like to try to make this a glide bait but if that doesn’t work out I may try it as multisegmented or throw lip in the front and make it a wake bait/crankdown . I am really just experimenting. I don’t know a lot about body shapes and what would work better for what. I don’t know anything about pouring resin,making a mold,ballast or anything so I’m learning as I go.

• 2 months later...

Your definitely on the right track man, looks great so far!

Also if you dont mind carving denser wood I wouldn't worry about using basswood. It's not very forgiving and if you decide to use a rotary tool it's easy to take more material then you mean too