Swimbait reels

basssavage24/7

I'm kind of sick of how the industry treats me being a lefty before they were more common it was like a hundred extra bucks for a lefty real.

After blowing up so many Cardiff 401 I've gone through five between myfishingpartner in The Last 5 Years some last better than others casting up to 12 oz and pounders. I've decided to switch to saltwater graded tackle only. 

But because I demand so much for my gear I'm really upset I can't get at tranxs 500 yeah maybe fishing for bass but as a lefty and as someone hard on their gear I find this tackle super upsetting I can't find A500 real size when casting 10 to 24 oz bait I spent all this money all this tackle I'm super upset that I keep having gear fail out on me yes I may be from Idaho and our state records is only 10 lb 9 oz but God damn I want to fish hard.  

This seems unfair to me because I demand so much of my tackle like I don't care if I'm rigging up 5 lb carp for flathead bait or if I'm tired chucking at 12 oz swimbait I want something that's reliable why can't I not get a 500 size reel I'm going up to the 400 but God damn I'm super upset and I hope this is not a problem when I upgrade to the saltwater category. 

If anyone got any recommendations for rees that are bulletproof no plastic pieces can put a whooping on some big fish. I'm just sick and tired of demanding so much from my tackle and getting so so much less.

I don’t think I’m answering your question because I don’t know your lefty pain but I do throw 8&bait for drum on reels that should get the job done. However, I believe your problem won’t be finding a reel that can handle what you want to do but being something that you can throw all day. I believe in old school reels. Abu 7500c is a great reel. I throw abu 6500 mag elites for larger swimbaits and have to replace bearings at least once a year but parts are available and repairs are easy. Avets have everything you need but all day casting is a question. I would check on the larger size akios reels. I have a 656 and have an issue with swimbait rods receiving the reel seat but if you are building your rods that isn’t an issue. The next size up should be better for you. Drag, line capacity, etc shouldn’t be an issue, just comfort and adapting a reel seat. 

B51F4AEE-2E5C-49F6-A3A7-8535A31925CB.jpeg

They make stainless gears for 13? I think a Calcutta Te 401 would probably be your best bet. As far as plastic parts goes even the Tranx 500 has plastic parts. Cardiff is an alright reel but your disappointment might be misplaced. Its a beginners swimbait reel. If you've gone thru 5 then thats about $600, which is about what a top of the line reel is going for. 

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a baitcaster made that is actually made for repeated casting a 1 lb or bigger bait. If there is, I’m not aware of it. There are some big spinning reels that would hold up but casting accuracy may not be as good. 

This is just my opinion and I think you should do whatever you want when it comes to fishing but, I would say there is not a 16+ oz bait out there that I think is worth fishing for bass with. I do think there is an upper limit to what a bass, even a giant one, will try to eat at any kind of predictable level. 
But the biggest reason I wouldn’t personally fish a bait that big or heavy is that it is too easy for a big bass to throw. More weight, more leverage, more lost fish. Now, if someone could make a good looking 12-14” bait that weighed less than 8 oz. I would throw it. But those are hard to find. 

As you’re finding, gear takes a toll with those heavy baits. The baits are harder to cast, the gear is cumbersome, the line is bigger and more visible, the hooks are gigantic and highly visible, etc., etc. Too many negatives for me. My suggestion would be to simply downsize (I know, the d word, it anathema here. LOL!). The 8-10” baits will get the biggest fish in any lake and will be easier to fish. But, again, you do whatever makes it fun for you. I’m not telling you what to do because if it works for you then it works. 
The toughest reels I’ve owned have been the Daiwa Luna 300’s. They do make lefty models. They’ve never failed and I rarely clean or lube them. They’re still super smooth and I’ve never made any repairs to any of them. I have about 4 of them and they’ve been going strong now for about 6 years. That’s the route I would go if you want a tough baitcaster. Hope this helps. Good luck!

14 hours ago, Jace D said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a baitcaster made that is actually made for repeated casting a 1 lb or bigger bait. If there is, I’m not aware of it. There are some big spinning reels that would hold up but casting accuracy may not be as good. 

This is just my opinion and I think you should do whatever you want when it comes to fishing but, I would say there is not a 16+ oz bait out there that I think is worth fishing for bass with. I do think there is an upper limit to what a bass, even a giant one, will try to eat at any kind of predictable level. 
But the biggest reason I wouldn’t personally fish a bait that big or heavy is that it is too easy for a big bass to throw. More weight, more leverage, more lost fish. Now, if someone could make a good looking 12-14” bait that weighed less than 8 oz. I would throw it. But those are hard to find. 

As you’re finding, gear takes a toll with those heavy baits. The baits are harder to cast, the gear is cumbersome, the line is bigger and more visible, the hooks are gigantic and highly visible, etc., etc. Too many negatives for me. My suggestion would be to simply downsize (I know, the d word, it anathema here. LOL!). The 8-10” baits will get the biggest fish in any lake and will be easier to fish. But, again, you do whatever makes it fun for you. I’m not telling you what to do because if it works for you then it works. 
The toughest reels I’ve owned have been the Daiwa Luna 300’s. They do make lefty models. They’ve never failed and I rarely clean or lube them. They’re still super smooth and I’ve never made any repairs to any of them. I have about 4 of them and they’ve been going strong now for about 6 years. That’s the route I would go if you want a tough baitcaster. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I completely understand what you're saying. I've been trying to learn this whole Mega bait thing that the Japanese are doing. Trying to get ahead of it before more people do it here in the US I've learned a lot from last year.

Do any of you guys know what kind of setups they are rocking over there to handle all these ridiculous Bates that I see on Instagram.

11 hours ago, basssavage24/7 said:

I completely understand what you're saying. I've been trying to learn this whole Mega bait thing that the Japanese are doing. Trying to get ahead of it before more people do it here in the US I've learned a lot from last year.

Do any of you guys know what kind of setups they are rocking over there to handle all these ridiculous Bates that I see on Instagram.

My understanding of the truly GIANT baits I've seen them use is almost purely to locate fish via follwers right? I almost feel you'd have to go to saltwater tackle cause that niche is so small. 

48 minutes ago, NEbucketmouth19 said:

My understanding of the truly GIANT baits I've seen them use is almost purely to locate fish via follwers right? I almost feel you'd have to go to saltwater tackle cause that niche is so small. 

The true true giant baits are mostly search baits. I plan on not going bigger than 16 inch baits for bass so I can still get more bites than a strictly search bait. 

I bought a rod that maxs out at 40oz. I plan on throwing 16 in line thru Savage gear some homemade gigantic Glides. Also doing a donkey rig with a alpha King and a 11 inch Alpha trout. As well as a A rig with 8 and 10 inch magdraft. 

I figure I could use a setup for other species as well like musky and maybe some Flathead catfishing where I'm rigging up 2 to 5 pound carp. As well as trolling 16 inch savage gear for bulltrout and Lakers.

The issue I need a reel to handle that type of abuse. I've seen videos of the Komodo SS 463, the tranx 400 and the lexa 400 reel in 30 to 60 pound yellowtail

I'm kind of leaning towards the Komodo I wish I could get the tranx 500. Not sure what kind of real that's a caster that can handle all that abuse

They dont the okuma Citrix and the concept A, and the komodo ss are all copies of each other. But the komodo has the best guts of all to my understanding so I'm looking to see if they will match up. But if I can't find a replacement that will work I'm going to have to go back to the Brass pinion but a year and half of 8 to 12 oz baits seems not to bad as far as wear and tear go.

36 minutes ago, MA Frog Man said:

13 makes stainless steel gears for thier reels?

Edited by basssavage24/7

43 minutes ago, MA Frog Man said:

13 makes stainless steel gears for thier reels?

Sorry for the confusion I don't know if it will work but I know stainless steel versions of the komodos are better I haven't tested my theory though but I'm hoping it will work

I got ahead of myself it had to reread what I said sorry for the confusion. But if it works I'll let you know as far as everything goes. 

Edited by basssavage24/7

On 4/1/2020 at 5:05 AM, basssavage24/7 said:

They surprisingly throw small reels compared to what we throw here in the us for rm mothers etc. they use a lot of the abu and Shimano reels like the abu Garcia Revo big shooter compact and the Revo beast 40. Antares dc md,etc.