Boiling Hudds still?

chefchris

Guys still boiling the hudd tails to help em kick a little better/easier?? 
I know that was the norm years ago it seemed,  but don’t hear or see much about lately. 

tips, suggestions? 

Stay safe and healthy out there everybody 

1 hour ago, MaineBassin said:

I remember reading about this a while back. I have 3. Bought used. Is this a do once and done forever or should they be boiled every so often? Someone out there...knows something...

It helps soften the tail but it’s main objective is to straighten the tail due to improper storage.  Having a straight tail will allow the most action out of the bait.  So no, not a one and done thing.  Can’t see why it wouldn’t work on ospreys 

stay safe everyone!!

I not a hudd guy at all. When I did boil my I felt it didn't kick as good when I would fish it on a straight swim. Felt like it kinda deaden up a bit. 

But when I tried crawling the bait I felt the action had a easier time to start engaging the action and a lot more secondary action when running into a rock especially in colder water. 

For me if someone gave me a hudd I personally wouldn't boil it because I don't really do a lot of slow crawling.  do what you want but that's how I felt about the whole experience.

I always boil my hudds, whether its to fix bent tails or fins from shipping or storage or to soften them up. Personally I have found that after boiling they will kick at slower speeds but don't do as well at high speeds. This works out great in my favor since I am mostly crawling my baits

I use to fish hudd "a lot" and I never boiled them. Caught some good fishes too. Thinking about it now, what if I did, would I have caught twice as much? Haha but I didnt see an advantage over it. Maybe because i fish 99% during the night? I feel creeping a big soft bait and trying to be stealth near the bottom is key. Esp when you run into a fish. Almost as if the big fish thinks the baits doesn't know they're behind it. I have a feeling in the back if my head that the extra kick will throw it off when the bait is swimming slow. I want to present the bait as natural as I can because I've seen bait fishes swim (slow) with almost no action at all. Just my .02cents. 

I’ve done it but it’s really not necessary unless you just want to straighten the bait out. That can also be accomplished by hanging the bait by the tail. Straight out of the package with a hudd for me. Maybe bend the hook up just slightly. 

On 4/3/2020 at 3:43 PM, dqb said:

Wondering this myelf but for ospreys 

It definitely works for ospreys and I would still do it if I fished them more. I would boil and stretch the tail and it would definitely make a difference in how slow you could swim the bait while still having the tail kick. You just have to be careful while stretching because you can pull the tail off pretty easily. Believe me, I’ve done it. Fortunately, a little mend it will fix the problem. 

I’ve boiled a bunch of baits and it works for both straightening and more kick in my opinion. The more kick thing happens because I would stretch the bait after boiling.  Osprey’s, Rising Son’s and baits like that would be 1/2”+ longer afterwards. Does it make a difference?  Solid maybe sometimes.