Time to find a new go-to lake!

Amistoad

My local lake has been kicking out some nice bass this year, but nothing over about 4 lbs. but I’m lazy and know I can at least catch numbers if not size. That changed yesterday. Couldn’t get anything going on wakes or glides and finally resorted to throwing a plastic worm just to feel a tug. Most fish were 15-18”, but a couple on the worm were the same size as the 10” wakebait I was throwing in the morning.
To top it off, as I was leaving, the lady at the entrance station told me the lake will be closed until further notice. So...time to get off my butt and explore some new lakes that are still open! Not many, but one nearby has some 10+ fish caught every year. This could be a blessing in disguise! Keep on grinding out there and be safe!

D5DF6746-E160-4B59-ACAC-CB37C27CF57C.jpeg

For me, I think all waters have cycles. They may on for a couple of years and then off, in normal cases.

Up north I had a small stocked trout pond that only the local people fished for trout. I could go there and catch a 5lb to 6lb fish almost every time. One day I see this a-hole there in a small boat taking bass, he said he eats them, we had words and I let it be. I went there every weekend for 3 to 4 weeks and he was there. He cleaned this lake out completely.

So other things could contribute to it especially a-holes.

I’ve spoken to a bunch of guys at the lake and we all see a major problem with castnetters. These guys wade out up to their necks, 3 and 4 in a group and throw nets all day, every day over every single inch of the shoreline. Spawning bass get caught no doubt. Some of my areas that used to put out 5-8 lbs bass regularly have nothing the last 2 years. Hopefully Texas Parks and Wildlife starts regulating. But until then, I’m off to find greener pastures! I’m always up for a challenge!