Hinge pins and resin casting

Swimbaitbox

Hey guys. I’m super new to making swimbaits and need some help. I’m looking into pouring resin baits into molds. I’m curious how to make the hole for the hinge pin. Should I leave a cutout and glue it in the joint or could I possibly coat a pin in casa line or grease that will act like a mold release and pull it out of the resin when it hardens. I’d love to know what you guys have done and need some guidance as to what the fastest way of placing a pin with little to no drilling required is. Thanks guys!

I drill my pin holes in the master and resin copies but wont pour resin with the pins in the mold. If the pin shifts in the mold or doesn't sit dead center you will play heck trying to fix it after the resin cures. If you drill the pin holes after the resin cures you can make sure they are right where you want em. May take longer to prep large runs but also gives you a chance to look over everything one more time. You even get to make sure everything is cured in the center drilling holes after curing. :wink:

On 5/15/2020 at 6:34 AM, Mountainryan said:

Drill your master where you want your pin, then cast the master with the pin in it. If you take the pin out soon after demolding you don’t need release but it does make it easier. This is my master 

AB35D9FD-D9EA-42A0-8BD2-E0A3E722F406.jpeg

What do you guys recommend using as a pin for something like pictured above