Weedless swimbaits and mono

365swimbait

Who here fishes weedless swim baits on monofilament and have no problems hooking and landing fish? I primarily fish from the bank and only use floro with weedless swimbaits because of the stretch factor. I travel light and always carry one rod(white label either XH or H) and I hate throwing glides on expensive floro because of line twist. Once in a while i’ll carry two reels and swap it depending on whether I’m chucking a weedless or treble hooks. I don’t get bit very often and I would hate to lose one on a weedless solely because I was using mono. Please share your past experiences, whether or not you have confidence with weedless on mono. Cheers and stay safe everyone. 

I am dedicated to only using maxima.  I was using 20lb test and my main bait is the wcz 6 inch weedless bait.  I haven't had any issues with hook ups.  I have lost fish but thats only with dealing with bringing the fish onto shore etc.   Also I only throw maxima whether it's for glide baits and or soft baits like the WCZ baits, hudds etc.  

I recently bought a spool of 15 lb test to try with the 6 inch wcz bait.  I felt the 20 lb test line wasn't allowing for a good swim in deeper water.  I tried weighting the bait down with nails and I just wasn't liking it.  I'll soon find out how the 15 works out.  For me its about confidence in your setup and me changing to 15lb is to test out sink rate and keeping the bait down when fishing 10+ ft.

Great topic and also my issue aswell. I have used big game, pline, izorline and no doubt all fantastic lines. However, first is the memory, sometimes I get good use with (2-3 outings without respooling) sometimes I’ll have to respoil the same day. I also notice when I use large walking baits, glides and crank downs the memory gets worst.  That’s with always using line conditioner. Secondly is the stretch and sensitivity, it gives me inconsistent hook sets that cost me some good ones. Third is casting distance and with mono/copoly even with downsizing the line, the distance is just not there.

My solution I followed Matt Allen’s advice, braid to mono, braid to floura, braid to what ever. It was not an easy transition and the learning curve is steep and davey Jones definitely got paid.  So far I’m enjoying the versatility it has provided. 

My advice on how to gain some confidence on it, practice on Smaller stuff and work your way up. And since @Ceaser busted out the wade frog which is so bad ass, If I just wanna bomb the frog I can just cut the leader and go straight braid!

1 hour ago, MartinG said:

Great topic and also my issue aswell. I have used big game, pline, izorline and no doubt all fantastic lines. However, first is the memory, sometimes I get good use with (2-3 outings without respooling) sometimes I’ll have to respoil the same day. I also notice when I use large walking baits, glides and crank downs the memory gets worst.  That’s with always using line conditioner. Secondly is the stretch and sensitivity, it gives me inconsistent hook sets that cost me some good ones. Third is casting distance and with mono/copoly even with downsizing the line, the distance is just not there.

My solution I followed Matt Allen’s advice, braid to mono, braid to floura, braid to what ever. It was not an easy transition and the learning curve is steep and davey Jones definitely got paid.  So far I’m enjoying the versatility it has provided. 

My advice on how to gain some confidence on it, practice on Smaller stuff and work your way up. And since @Ceaser busted out the wade frog which is so bad ass, If I just wanna bomb the frog I can just cut the leader and go straight braid!

What lb braid and leader? And which brand/type of leader are you using

48 minutes ago, MattGbaz said:

What lb braid and leader? And which brand/type of leader are you using

Matt, the only braid I have tried is power pro, 65lb for my swimbaits 2-6oz, 20lb leader I carry Sunline super sniper and big game or cxx depends on where I’m fishing! 14-16ft leader for me at all times. Decoy 4 snap on the end if I want to change baits faster. The FG and blood are the only knots I use. 

2 hours ago, MartinG said:

Matt, the only braid I have tried is power pro, 65lb for my swimbaits 2-6oz, 20lb leader I carry Sunline super sniper and big game or cxx depends on where I’m fishing! 14-16ft leader for me at all times. Decoy 4 snap on the end if I want to change baits faster. The FG and blood are the only knots I use. 

Thanks. I’ve been leaning toward using braid because theres no need to spend hundreds of dollars a month replacing fluorocarbon. I’ve been throwing my hardbaits under 4oz on 80lb to 20 big game but I’m just scared to go to my tt’s and 250. Any tips

6 hours ago, MattGbaz said:

Thanks. I’ve been leaning toward using braid because theres no need to spend hundreds of dollars a month replacing fluorocarbon. I’ve been throwing my hardbaits under 4oz on 80lb to 20 big game but I’m just scared to go to my tt’s and 250. Any tips

Just bump up to 25. More than enough for a 250

7 hours ago, MattGbaz said:

I Agree to what @Mossypumpkin said 25lb , will be more than enough. What’s more important are our connection knots! 

The best knot is the knot that you are skilled at tying. I’ve been tying a regular clinch my whole life. I’ve had people tell me it’s not going to hold on bit baits. Been tossing Hinkle’s, mothers, and super slammers on it for several years and hasn’t let go yet. I’ll keep using it...

What bassbass said. With weedless baits I try to point at the bait as I’m reeling in. When you get bit. Reel down until you feel her and then set the hook. I’ve been doing it this way with my weedless hudds, rising sons, and mission fish with not any more missed than the normal misses. Mono 100 percent of the time. Pline original pf and cxx 20 lbs