Wife wants to throw big baits

BassJunkie

So I know this is gonna sound stupid as hell but he we go is there a spinning rod and reel that anyone would use to throw jointed swimbaits? 5” 6” and 7” baits like the bullshad or s wavers 200 my wife wants to go and kayak fish with me but she’s always catching dinks n I’m slamming hogs so I want to set her up with a rod n reel that will handle swimbaits, she can’t cast a bait caster 

Both of my kids occasionally go fishing with me and they like throwing swimbaits when they do, but they're not willing to invest the time to learn how to use a baitcaster.  So, instead of baitcasters, about 3 years ago I set them up with the following spinning outfits that do well with the smaller swimbaits (up to 6" BBZ-1 trout, 7" MS Slammer and Hudd 68 size).

Rod: St. Croix Mojo Inshore MH 7'6" (model MIS76MHF; throws 1/2 - 1 1/4 oz - has no trouble with 7" Slammers, G2 Shellcrackers, 6" BBZs and the Hudd 68 even though some of those are technically heavier - tosses topwater frogs well too).

Reels: Okuma Inspira 40B, spooled with 50-lb PowerPro and then I run a short heavy mono leader (typically 50-lb Big Game) with a Duo Snap on it so they can change lures easily.

The rods can handle big fish (they're made for inshore action, after all) and they do the trick with bass and with channel catfish as well.  The outfits weigh 1 lb, exactly, so they're a little lighter than my standard H Okumas with the Curado 301Ds (1 lb, 2 oz) which helps if the person using them is a little smaller...of course, now both kids are almost as big as me so that doesn't matter as much anymore.

My son uses the same St Croix in the legend model and it works great. I believe they have a model that is a little heavier also if you want that. the 7"6" length helps in a kayak as you can get the line around the nose of most kayaks. I use a spheros in the 4000 size. My son has issues with braid so I use mono. 

There are a lot of spinning rods made for offshore vertical jigging that would probably work as well. 

Totally overdid it but I had LDC build me a spinning rod on one of their MH blanks. It does everything from frogs to larger buzzbaits to 9” Slammers for her. Really great rod.

I wish I had asked @FishDr first...would have saved time, emotions, and $$$

59 minutes ago, Volfan said:

Totally overdid it but I had LDC build me a spinning rod on one of their MH blanks. It does everything from frogs to larger buzzbaits to 9” Slammers for her. Really great rod.

I wish I had asked @FishDr first...would have saved time, emotions, and $$$

That actually sounds like an awesome rod - the MH inshore rods definitely won't throw a 9" Slammer...and we all know how effective those Slammers are!