Hunting State Records

Jon P

9 hours ago, Spencer_518 said:

My wife and I stay up in Lake George a few times a year and always try to find a place on the water. This past summer in May we stayed at a place and no joke right from the dock for 3 days straight i was on a crazy jerkbait bite! I never experienced anything like it. Now I look back and wish I had the big baits I have now. 

You are right about the Ashokan res and the steam cleaning of the boat. I hope to get there a few times in the new year but I would like to get some electronics for my kayak to help locate fish and structure. 

I do think electronics are the key in finding giants in Ashokan. Rondout reservoir, which is close to that also has some killer smallmouth fishing.

14 hours ago, Spencer_518 said:

That's cool! I need to fish it more! I'll hit the conklinville damn once and a while or stewarts bridge res 

I had about a 40 in pike follow my bait up to the boat at Stewart's Dam this past year. Just an interesting side story. I was there many years ago when a kid caught a pacu out of there. Someone must of released it from their aquarium.

32 minutes ago, WaterWolf44 said:

I had about a 40 in pike follow my bait up to the boat at Stewart's Dam this past year. Just an interesting side story. I was there many years ago when a kid caught a pacu out of there. Someone must of released it from their aquarium.

That’s cool! Stewart’s dam is interesting to me I’ve heard there are big fish. Never see anyone fishing there and all I’ve caught are very small smallies 

• 1 month later...

My quest for a new NJ state record continues. I’ve been after it for about 4 years now.  I fish small public waters in the southern part of the state. Our state record currently sits at 10 lb. 14 oz.  There is a lot of speculation to the legitimacy of it . But it is what it is.  My 2 biggest have been 8-10 and 8-12. The 8-12 was caught in September. No telling what it would have weighed full of eggs, but i’m sure well short of the record.  Down this way anything over 6 is an exceptional fish. I fish for giants 80% of the time. I’m retired so i get to pick and choose my days, getting out 3-4 days a week. I’m fortunate to be able to catch multiple 6-7+ lb fish throughout the year, but my focus is set on that ONE bass. Does she exist?  It won’t be for lack of trying.  Anybody else with this addiction?

2 hours ago, Domenico Simone said:

My quest for a new NJ state record continues. I’ve been after it for about 4 years now.  I fish small public waters in the southern part of the state. Our state record currently sits at 10 lb. 14 oz.  There is a lot of speculation to the legitimacy of it . But it is what it is.  My 2 biggest have been 8-10 and 8-12. The 8-12 was caught in September. No telling what it would have weighed full of eggs, but i’m sure well short of the record.  Down this way anything over 6 is an exceptional fish. I fish for giants 80% of the time. I’m retired so i get to pick and choose my days, getting out 3-4 days a week. I’m fortunate to be able to catch multiple 6-7+ lb fish throughout the year, but my focus is set on that ONE bass. Does she exist?  It won’t be for lack of trying.  Anybody else with this addiction?

You and I both are a shade over two pounds away from our respective state records. I’ve been at it since 2013 when I first got started swimbait fishing. Only in 2020 did I really start feeling like I was making headway. I’ve got to believe that THE fish exists, otherwise I’ve wasted too much damn money on this! 

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 3:24 PM, Domenico Simone said:

What baits were your 2 biggest on may i ask?