Hunting State Records

Jon P

On 6/18/2020 at 6:17 AM, bigpoppabass said:

I am surprised NH hasn't had a record breaker. I think issue is it will come from a deep trout lake and those thermocline giving limited opportunity to get near her.  Other deal is both state records came exactly 10 years after those fish were introduced no joke. There is a book on bass stocking program here.

The other problem is the closed season for trout ponds. Plenty of those definitely have bass large enough but not being able to target the lakes definitely hurts the ability to get them in spring

7 hours ago, Kyle1387 said:

The other problem is the closed season for trout ponds. Plenty of those definitely have bass large enough but not being able to target the lakes definitely hurts the ability to get them in spring

tell me about it, I have been sneaking into them for years for the big bass though

2 hours ago, CG_Fishes said:

tell me about it, I have been sneaking into them for years for the big bass though

Brother accidentally went out to one the day before opener. Caught 20 lbs of smallies on conventional. Next day there were 20 boats on a lake less than 200 acres and I think we had 3 bites lol

On 6/20/2020 at 10:11 PM, Kyle1387 said:

Brother accidentally went out to one the day before opener. Caught 20 lbs of smallies on conventional. Next day there were 20 boats on a lake less than 200 acres and I think we had 3 bites lol

yeah man, my lakes aren't like that hahaha, 50-100 acres and no boats, but you can usually get a few 3-4lb smallmouth and 5-6lb largemouth in March, if you don't get kicked out that is

On 6/18/2020 at 1:46 PM, El_Weruso said:

Haha so much for us in Cali, so many fish over 15. I'll be happy with a 10 someday..

If you’re going for the state record here then you might as well aim a couple pounds higher and hit the world record haha. I’ve stuck a 15 here on a jig back when I was still ignorant of big swimbaits I’m hoping to at least match it someday now that I have more focused tools! 
(here being California lol)

• 3 months later...

I'm in Pennsylvania an I'm looking for the nxt state record. Are large mouth is 11.3 an smallmouth is 8.8...  My biggest smallmouth is a little over 6lbs an my biggest large mouth is a little over 7lbs. I have seen some fish tht would have came close to the record. All I can say is keep grinding an fishing when you can. Its nice to be able to fish at the best times(moon phases, pre storm fronts,etc) but my biggest large mouth came on a blue bird day. So ya never know when its gunna happen

Looking to beat nj state record here bud been at it a few years now it’s what lead me to swimbaits. Our state record is 10.15 back in like 1989 I think n it was caught 20 minutes from my house my closet 2 were 7.10 n 7.11 n I’ve lost several fish I’m sure would have beat the record one straightend out my 36-st hooks 

8D0E08C0-663B-4D21-BD02-AABE1E66856F.jpeg

A22D0DF5-112F-49C2-885F-012659EE84AC.jpeg

15 hours ago, BassJunkie said:

Looking to beat nj state record here bud been at it a few years now it’s what lead me to swimbaits. Our state record is 10.15 back in like 1989 I think n it was caught 20 minutes from my house my closet 2 were 7.10 n 7.11 n I’ve lost several fish I’m sure would have beat the record one straightend out my 36-st hooks 

8D0E08C0-663B-4D21-BD02-AABE1E66856F.jpeg

A22D0DF5-112F-49C2-885F-012659EE84AC.jpeg

Hell yeah man! Got pretty close myself this weekend with my second biggest bass of all time

Nearly broke my PB last weekend at a secret lake of mine. Most folks only know it as a kokanee lake but last fall when I was there I heard anglers moaning about bass eating kokanee off their line. this is only my second trip there but I got low five pounders and the one 6.26. There was a kokanee corral that bass were stacked up under eating the small ones that escaped. Didn't have any kokanee baits but the perch 250 is a perfect match to the lakes equally massive perch.

The real highlight of the day though, was seeing a fish near twice the size of the 6. Chucked the 250 along a battered wood and aluminum dock sticking out over a main lake point and started a popping retrieve darting in between the dock supports. I'd seen a catch and kill notice for recently introduced pike to the lake so I had that in the back of my head as I was fishing without a leader. As I brought the 250 right to the bow of the boat a massive brown head (think 50" musky sized head) came out and slashed at the bait. I ripped the 250 away as to not lose it to the pike and tied on some 40 lb leader, backed up the boat, and repeated the retrieve. once the bait came to the end of the dock the fish came out and I got to see one of the largest northern strain fish I'd ever seen. In my head it registered as being an oil barrel sized fish but in reality it's more likely in the 8-10 pound ballpark. 

On the second follow it made no moves to eat the bait. Just came out slowly and casually at the surface, feeling like it was making eye contact. Seeing as how the fish was acting skittish I backed out about fifty feet to eat my lunch and let the fish mellow out before trying a follow up bait. probably would have deadsticked a deadtwitch til it ate. While I was sitting there with my dick in my hands (figure of speech) the guy who actually owned the dock came out and folded it up for the winter! after he took off the first cross-section of the dock the big fish spooked and lumbered off down the top of the point, passing right under the boat to get to deep water.

Thankfully with the new moon next weekend I'll have a good shot at the fish. Plus, with bathymetric mapping and a marker on the point the fish isn't going anywhere! not to mention it's a small lake only frequented by kokanee anglers! practically pissing my pants with excitement.

6.2 (2).jpg

6.26.jpg

kok.jpg

• 1 month later...

In VA our state record is a little over 16 pounds. I’ve seen multiple over 12 and some of them even followed my bait back. It could be a while until it’s broken though, 16lbs is an absolute unit of a fish and most lakes where I live are declining.

On 11/22/2020 at 1:50 PM, peytoncominsfishing said:

In VA our state record is a little over 16 pounds. I’ve seen multiple over 12 and some of them even followed my bait back. It could be a while until it’s broken though, 16lbs is an absolute unit of a fish and most lakes where I live are declining.

There's got to be a fish of that caliber somewhere in the state. sixteen pounds isn't an astronomically high mark for florida strain fish.

The whole state record thing in NY is pretty strange. It was caught pretty far north, in a lake that didn't have a consistent trout population at the time. It is a pretty normal looking lake in terms of contour and structure, there has to be something behind it though. However, in Staten Island, there is a very unusual body of water where there was a 10-3 caught a few years back, and it is rumored that in the 90's someone caught a 11-14. Not sure how true the rumors are, but the 10-3 was definitely verified by a select few trusted people. It would be super interesting to see a state record caught in NYC, and I believe it is entirely possible in that lake in Staten Island. The lake gets to about 60 feet, but it is only 44 acres. No grass, all rock, very clear. Almost a bath tub like place. I think the biggest fish feed on a mixture of perch and bluegill. Anyways, state records fascinate me so that was my take on a possible state record in my area.