Rod Tip Guide Ring Came Off

SumoNinja

I dropped my rod while biking to a fishing spot and later noticed the ring on the rod tip popped off. I put a cloth over it and popped it back on with a pair of pliers. 

It's my dobyns fury 795 rod for small swimbaits. I tested it out today with conventional plastic and caught these 4 fish with it, flipped them and everything. No issues casting, fighting and flipping the fish in the 2-4 lb range

Is my tip compromised? Should I just get it repaired/replaced to be safe? I'd hate to lose any small swimbaits or big fish or both if it fails. 

20200601_145151.jpg

20200601_145219.jpg

20200601_160752.jpg

20200601_162714.jpg

Tips are easy to fix. You can do it with 5 minute epoxy or there’s tip top adhesive that’s basically a hot glue stick. Either one will hold a new tip on securely, with advantage being epoxy. Depending on where you’re located, might be able to find a shop that has tips in stock and you can do it easily that way, or dig around online and find what tip diameter it is and then order a nice tip online. It’s a cheap fix, so if it was me I’d do it right, plus since I build rods I already have all the stuff I need. 

or just fish it until it really breaks if you think it’s in there good. 

11 minutes ago, Bass_blaster said:

Tips are easy to fix. You can do it with 5 minute epoxy or there’s tip top adhesive that’s basically a hot glue stick. Either one will hold a new tip on securely, with advantage being epoxy. Depending on where you’re located, might be able to find a shop that has tips in stock and you can do it easily that way, or dig around online and find what tip diameter it is and then order a nice tip online. It’s a cheap fix, so if it was me I’d do it right, plus since I build rods I already have all the stuff I need. 

or just fish it until it really breaks if you think it’s in there good. 

Thanks for the info

The tip itself is fine. It's the ceramic ring that popped loose. It seems to be in there good now. Would a couple dabs of superglue hurt? 

Edited by SumoNinja

It won’t hurt it at all. Different guides have a different method of securing the ring to the frame. Depending on what you have it might be just fine long term, but the non flanged rings are much less stable once it’s popped out. Not sure what guides dobyns uses. 

14 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

Thanks man. I'm gonna dab 2 or 3 drops of super glue and see how it does. Will just keep an eye on it. 

I had to do the same thing with my 795 and so far so good

I've done the same, just be careful getting any of the super glue on the inside of the ceramic ring to avoid the line sticking to it or creating a rough surface. Learned the hard way and lost a few jigs due to some krazy glue hardening on the inside of the ceramic rings and fraying my line. 

As a rod builder:

Just to be safe, I would measure and order a replacement guide.  The glue or epoxy on the insert may hold for a long time, or you may continue to fight it falling out.  You dont want it to cost you a fish or a lure.

I've had best luck with fast cure 2 part epoxy to get them to adhere.  Bob smith 30 minute is what I use for rod building, and it has worked on inserts.

As for the tip replacement, to size it correctly:  the tube size (where the guide slides over the blank) and the ring size need to be measured.  

Use a caliper to check the blank diameter.  I typically order 3 guides around the diameter, so I know I get one that fits snugly.  

For the ring, measure the OUTSIDE diameter of the insert ring.  Thay is the ring size.

Vendors: mudhole.com, getbitoutdoors.com, customrodcomponents.com

The glue will hold for a little, but as mentioned it may cause in issue with the line if there is any extra glue. Not worth lessing a good fish or bait over.

Best bet is to Mudhole or getbitoutdoors, both in my town, and over a couple of tips. With a lighter heat the tip and hold the tip pliers and wiggle it off. Let cool and then clean with knife. Head the glue stick and rub around tip of rod, slide new tip on and aline with other glides. Clean extra glue if needed, wait a couple a mintues then go stick a pig.

You may also have to scape or sand the rod tip a little to fit the new tip. I use super glue because in the heat sometimes the tip may move out of alignment when using the glue stick.

Edited by bassbass

Yea I agree with u guys. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Gonna just replace the tip.

I throw my little Johnny rat, 316 fs and sly guys on this rod.  Do not want to risk losing any of those baits. 

Thanks everyone