What is your definition of a swimbait?

swimbaitunderground

What is your definition of a swimbait?  

965 members have voted

1. 1. What is your definition of a swimbait?

• Any bait that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 4" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 8" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 10" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger
    • Any Bait 8" or larger

So is the California swimjig considered a swimbait?

depends if you put a swimbait on it or not :lol:

Hey what's up bud, it's Tim from Azbasszone...Lol, of course it included a swimbait...A 5" hollow belly paddle tail...Take care and see you on the water...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't find a hard line in the definition of a swimbait.

In the traditional sense, a swimbait is something that produces a "nice catch" response from an unwitting bystander who witnesses you draw it out of the water. I tend to classify those as "big baits", but not necessarily "swimbaits". A Lunker Punker, for example, elicits a shock when you tell someone it's your bait, but does it swim? No. I still call it a "swimbait" because, to an extent, I'm a traditionalist in that sense.

However, I become more liberal than my likewise traditional kindred when it comes to the classification of smaller paddle-tails. There are as many, if not more, small baits that still tend to gain the "swimbait" name, at least from most mainstream anglers. For example, is a Skinny Dipper a swimbait? Most on this site will say not, but I tend to answer 'yes', because it swims (obviously), and it's a bait (obviously). 

Therefore, I tend to define a swimbait by either, or both of two terms: does it, (1) mimic the swimming motion of a baitfish? or does it, (2) scare off every dink within a half mile when it hits the water?. Because of that, I think a swimbait can fit into one or more of the following categories: swimbaits, big baits, and big swimbaits. Since I would imagine this site aims to restrict content to the latter two categories, I'll not comment too extensively on the first (which pains me, because I caught a 9.46 on one after I'd thrown a Huddleston around the same area for almost a half hour). In conclusion of my little rant, I think we're all entitled to our own opinions about the definition of a swimbait, but if we want to post information about a fringeline bait, or a fish caught on one, a good argument should be presented with the post, or at least prepared in the case of an invalidity claim from another member. 

Edited by NorthTexasSwimbaiter

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tend to think of a jointed bait hard or soft that swims. Great question cause when I think of paddle tail baits like keitech I don't think swimbait. But I do think hudds. Both create a swimming action but I guess my thoughts include size. I consider my 4 inch stubby TT to b a swimbait. Not saying I'm right by any means just my thoughts when the term "swimbait" is used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...